Share This Page:

Spearhead Assault by Tony Geddes

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Greenronnie

Spearhead Assault by Tony Geddes

Post by Greenronnie »

Read this whilst away on a recent trip, not a bad read at all. It's a first hand account from a 2 Para Patrols guy, of the Falklands War, in particular the battle for Goose Green. He's a bit full of himself at times, ie going on about knocking people out and stuff, but the battle accounts are awesome.

The story of one of mates popping his head up for a second to see where they are getting shot at from, and having his helmet split in two by a machine gun burst (but surviving unscathed) makes you sit up. Not to mention 'Monster' Adams being shot by a GPMG several times, but still managing to crawl off, see an Argy with a pistol on his belt, and stamping on his head just to make sure he was dead! Go on the Reg!

He gives a no-holds-barred view of the H Jones' incident, and of why he thought the battle really gained momentum again, after being stalled by a well emplaced and sited defence system. He also pulls no punches when talking about the fcuk ups in preparing for this first major battle of the Falklands Campaign. Harrier bombs landing harmlessly in the sea, artillery and naval guns going U/S, the misuse of certain support elements, it's all here.

He also names the guy who he and most of the rest of the lads thought should have won the VC, Pig Abols. I met this bloke in Brunei on JWIC in '97, seemed like a good old boy. What I didn't realise is that his father fought for the Germans (as a Finnish soldier) in WW2, winning the Iron Cross! :o
Chas

Post by Chas »

Greenronnie,

Concur v.g. read does not hold back in his opinions.

Chas. :lol:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

His other book, 'Highway to Hell' is not too bad a read either.

viewtopic.php?t=12473
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Doc

Post by Doc »

Highway to hell is good, as is the circuit, stay away from making a killing as it gets very political and one ruperts writings on the whys an why nots, starts good but then he uses 84 chapters to give us his solution to Iraq and world terror...............yawn.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

awww I quite liked Making A Killing but thats probably because I didnt catch onto the politics that you mention.
just_me

Post by just_me »

In the middle of reading 'Spearhead Assault', good read so far.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Just finished reading this and his version on Col. H Jones' VC is interesting. By all accounts he ignored all the advice he got about how to get the attck going again, got himself killed then the ideas were put into action i.e using the Milans on the enemy bunker postions.

And apparantly he never fired a shot in anger. :o

Mind you, it's just one persons account, and Col. H Jones did do an excellent job on many other fronts, and the author did say he was under some serious pressure, and had just witnessed his mucker get shot!

"Sod That For A Game Of Soldiers" - Mark Eyles-Thomas, is also a good read on the Falklands and his basic training back then.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Game-Soldi ... 0954622324
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
JAYRIGG

Dave Abols

Post by JAYRIGG »

Nice one GR,

I was a T.A. paratrooper(10 para) before i joined the marines in the early to mid -eighties and i remember a scouse cpl called Dave Abols from down at aldershot training us one weekend(1984/85ish),i,m presuming its the same geezer,if it was, what a top bloke.

cheers,

Jay.

P.S. I think he won the MM,correct me if i'm wrong.
Wholley

Re: Spearhead Assault by Tony Geddes

Post by Wholley »

You really do enjoy the resurrection business don't you :lol: