Share This Page:

Will I make it in?

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
Azar

Will I make it in?

Post by Azar »

Hi there I am 18 years old and have applied to join as a Communications system engineer however my English is at a D grade which isn’t high enough sadly. However my second choice Communications system operator I qualify for.

There is only one problem I suffered from depression from 5/1/2008 – 27/2/2009 and I was on medication of fluoxetine 20mg a day for around 6-8 months. When it reached February I told my told my doctors I had been feeling fine for a few months.
It was mainly hormones and the people I was around and it seems to have bitten me in the ass really. I had one incident in October 2008 where I was very drunk and cut myself and hit my father (was in self defence) no charges were pressed and no action was taken. There has been no episode since or anything remotely similar. (I know the specific dates because I filled in medical forms today with my GP)

This was a bad time in my life and since then. I have changed my life around and got it back on track I have different friends and am currently studying for an IT Diploma and keep to a good physical standard.
What I’m trying to ask is would the British army take me. I have always wanted to join the army since I was a child, and have been held back by my lack of English GCSE so far will the history of depression be the final nail in my coffin?

Any information would be very helpful.
MSI64

Re: Will I make it in?

Post by MSI64 »

Are you still undregoing treatment for Depression??
More than one episode of self harm would make you ineligible(so you should be ok)

Only one way to find out is to go to your careers office and ask the experts
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Azar

Post by Azar »

Not undergoing any further treatment anymore and it was only the one episode. Spoke with my careers adviser today and he said we need to wait for medical form to come back and the decision was up to the doctor.
So fingers crossed I guess
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Three years clear of pre-existent?
What happened to that?

Oh, yeah...Iraq and Afghanistan