Share This Page:

Mk48 Machine Gun

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
AJtothemax

Mk48 Machine Gun

Post by AJtothemax »

Is this replacing the M249 SAW or MK46???
Uses 7.62mm rounds instead. I saw it being used on Future Weapons and it was far more effective with the 7.62 rounds when it came to stopping power and range.

Any thought's on it as I know sweet-fa.

Found some specifications for it though on good old Military.com

FN HERSTAL'S MK48 MOD 0 MACHINE GUN -- SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 39.75 inches
Weight: 18.64 pounds (that's just about 8.5kg)
Bore diameter: 7.62mm
Maximum effective range: 800 meters
Maximum range: 3600 meters
Muzzle velocity: 6.4 inches (16.3 cm)
Rate of fire Cyclic: 710 (+/- 50) rounds per minute
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

I'm back.

Denmark are buying those!
Our air-force combat support wing already got 'em... :)
Last edited by Holger Danske on Tue 03 Jun, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"
Tab

Post by Tab »

I can't see the MoD buying it, now they seem to have settled on a standard type of ammunition for nearly all their small arms, which is 5.56. This in turn simplifies the logistical problems. Also just how often do you get into a fire fight at such long range
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Tab wrote:I can't see the MoD buying it, now they seem to have settled on a standard type of ammunition for nearly all their small arms, which is 5.56. This in turn simplifies the logistical problems. Also just how often do you get into a fire fight at such long range
Obviously the well-used GPMG uses the same ammunition as this weapon. And in Afghanistan there are quite often long range contacts. However the main benefit would be the hitting power of 7.62 over 5.56, no matter what the range.

This just looks like a scaled down version of the GPMG, and at nearly 6lbs lighter, would be handier. As long as it was as reliable, it looks like a winner. I'm not sure that those reasons would convince the already strapped MOD though.

I'd say that the stats are a bit dodgy though! The max quoted range is twice the range of a GPMG in SF role, plus that muzzle velocity is obviously horsecrap.
PoliSci

Post by PoliSci »

Tab wrote:I can't see the MoD buying it, now they seem to have settled on a standard type of ammunition for nearly all their small arms, which is 5.56. This in turn simplifies the logistical problems. Also just how often do you get into a fire fight at such long range
7.62 is not a logistical problem. You already use it en masse and so does every country in the NATO. Hence its name: (7.62mm NATO)

This is a real machinegun. Mag fed, belt fed, fireable from the hip, very good sustained fire kit for when you need to put down acurate fire at night or at targets at long range. Every army in the world should use these. Its a 7.62 version of the saw (or in Canada the C9, my old personal weapon).
sky ninja steve

Re: Mk48 Machine Gun

Post by sky ninja steve »

no point in it being mag fed really though unless they are going to issue you with ten mags for it or are going to change the standard british rifle which we all know they probably wont so as the gunners can snatch mags off the rifle men which was the use with the lmg no?
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"