Share This Page:

TA Training kit Extras

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
ghost3h

TA Training kit Extras

Post by ghost3h »

hey, just passed my selection weekend last weekend, and instead of the 6 months of weekend training, im gona do the 2 week course for it. So what extra 'gucci' kit should I buy.

A lot of people say i should get thermal underlayers some say helly hansen some say others so suggestions?

any other good points on things to buy?

ghost
ghost3h

Post by ghost3h »

oh on a second note, the boots you get issued with how hard are they?

How long roughly do they take to break in, and suggestions on good methods of breakin them in?

ghost
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hope this isn't too late for you! You were hopefully posting nice and early?

Extra kit:

Half decent socks a couple of really nice pairs, bridgedale summits are my faves. Save these for 'TABbing' on the course.

Bungees 6, green or black. Tent pegs.

A couple of extra pairs of combat 95 shirts and trousers, if you got issued 2 sets, over two weeks its handy to have more. If you get them on ebay you should get two sets for about £20 - £30, if you're on good terms with your stores, you can even change them for new ones that fit! I went to my local surplus store and bought half a dozen green t-shirts, second hand when I joined, as any long course these are handy. You will have a laundry, but it may not be that brilliant or quick!

Freezer bags to water proof stuff.
Ibuprofen.

Thats it really, for now, save buying canoe bags and head torches and all that for when you're "in".

If you want to really splash out, then two or three extra utility pouches will stand you in good stead, £3-4 each second hand.
if you get any grief (unlikely) for having half decent 'non issued' webbing, say you got issued it like that!

Breaking boots in:

Get them wet. Go walking in puddles, keep them on till they dry. Walk around in them as much as possible. Polish them daily even if not worn, not BS, helps to soften the leather. Ignore stories from old sweats about p1ssing in them!
BUY SORBOTHANE INSOLES, BUY SORBOTHANE INSOLES! The red 'heel strike' ones. Chuck the issued insoles in the back of the cupboard with your silver shadows.