Share This Page:

New to the forum.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Goose87

New to the forum.

Post by Goose87 »

First of all i would just like to say its good to be here and i am hoping to be a active user!

I would just like to ask for some advice on my training and application process.

First off i have only this week sent my application in for Regiment Gunner and was wondering how long the initial application/interview process? I know the basics through the Regiment website but hopefully members of this site might be a little more clear about it :)

Also, i would like to know members thoughts on preperation for the PGAC. I have set myself a training schedule of Running, Sit-up's, Press-Up's and pull up's.

Any feed back is greatly appriciated and my apologies if this a repetative question for the forum.
Phil Taylor

Post by Phil Taylor »

hi mate,
had my initial interview back in april, then my ast a month later, my trade interview about 3 weeks later then my medical about a month ago,
after my medical the cpl at the afco said my pgac would probably be end of the year maybe even the beginning of next, i got a call a few days later saying that my pgac was on the 18th of jan 2010, but a few weeks later i got a call pushing it forward to the 26th of oct,
basically its a long process at the moment but if you want to be in the regiment that bad then a few months wait is well worth it.

as for your training iv started doing alot of interval training to build my stamina up, iv still got alot of work to do on the 3 miler but im going for runs every day and building up little by little, im aiming to be comfortably running it in the time scales by the beginning of next month. as with press up and sit ups practice them every day aim to do 30+ on both of those inside a minute and that should be ok

hope this helps mate
Initial Interview: 28/04/09 - Passed
AST: 20/05/09 - Passed
Interview: 16/06/09 - Passed
Medical: 01/07/09 - Passed
PGAC: 26/10/09 - Failed on 3 mile run
TG Course: ?
Goose87

Post by Goose87 »

Thanks alot mate i wasnt too sure about how long it was going to take to get the ball rolling.

yeah i think i will be patient and see the long wait as more time to prepare for the PGAC.

Thats what more or less i am doing now, just doing long comfortable runs 5 days a week.

Thanks for the feedback mate :D