Share This Page:

Be the Best?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
The_Ronin81

Be the Best?

Post by The_Ronin81 »

Ok, excuse the provocative thread title but need sum guidance. Probably the answers required are pretty tedious but Im a newbie so bear with...

I am Currently 28......And have been keen on a rewarding and enriching career for relative aeons, yet am stuck in circles in mundane and monotonous sales jobs for last 6 yrs...

I have 10 gcses and 3 a levels, started a degree but had to stop due to family death, and wish to join at Officer Level.

I am keen on bodybuilding/fitness, been training for years, but smoke which limits running endurance!.

TO BE HONEST, Stupidly I did not realise how competitive the vying was; due to 5 % of all positions only being taken up by Officers...!

ANYWAYS,

Do I stand a chance?

MEDICAL?
Im Shortsighted...
Have hayfever..
Have had a swollen joints as a reaction to a viral infection..
Smoke..
Strong, but could never run 3 mile in 22 min!!.....Pressups situps etc no prob!!

MENTALLY?
Can be lazy...
Poor shorterm memory...

BUT IM DETERMINED WHEN FOCUSED, AND VIEW THIS AS A MAJOR LIFE CHALLENGE?!

Any comments much obliged
timex

Post by timex »

Hopefully not a wind up...if not then I would suggest that you visit your local AFCO and let them give you the Good/bad news. Your age may be close to the upper limit and your various medical problems may also cause a few problems.

Do a search for shortsightedness, Hayfever and age limits on the forum for some previous threads.
The_Ronin81

Post by The_Ronin81 »

Thanks Guys, Oh yeah.. Ive got to resit my maths gcse as its the only one I failed, which will subsquently get me up to scratch for the aptitude tests.....

I have a driving conviction would that stand against RAF police officer?
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but you will have to tell them and it could well kinder your chances, especially as you're hoping for RAF Police. Ring your local AFCO and arrange a time to go in and talk to them about all of this stuff, they'll be able to advise you and give you all the hard facts.
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
adamdt

Post by adamdt »

the guy above said you're goin for RAF police. You need to be able to read the 5th line down on the snellen chart without glasses or contacts. Thats what prevented me from being able to join as MP.