Share This Page:

The C word (Cancer) and the RAF?

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
robbo83

The C word (Cancer) and the RAF?

Post by robbo83 »

Hello all!

Hope everyone well! I have looked through these forums before last year but this is the 1st time poster.

This time last year I was keen to join the RAF and was in training building up to my application. I don’t want to bore you all with the details but to cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with stage 4 testicular cancer. After two ops and a lot of chemo I was given the all clear. (phew!)

So now I'm getting back into fitness I want to look at my next career step and hopefully the RAF. I have been told by someone though that the forces do not accept people who have previously had cancer. That goes for the Territorial and reservist forces.

I rang the recruitment hotline and they were not able to tell me if this is true or not but instead they told me to visit the careers office who would have more infomation. Since I am at work most days this can be pretty tricky to get there so I thought I would ask on here.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

AFCO's are open seven days a week aren't they? :-? If you haven't got time to go in person then why not give your local AFCO a ring instead of the national recruitment line? I imagine the staff there will be more informed and will tell you the same thing on the phone as if you asked in person. ;)
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

I'm not sure about the RAF or having had cancer before joining but my hubby's colleague had testicular cancer whilst serving and is still serving now on full and normal duties - actually just picked up his third stripe on his return from Afghanistan.

I'd be surprised (and appalled) if they have a blanket rule on this and would imagine it was on a case by case basis.

Like Mike said, probably best to give AFCO a call directly as they'll have more knowledge or at least know which direction to point you in.

Glad you got the all clear, matey. Scary times, eh? :-?

Wish you well with your application :D
Waiting for my rocket to come.