Share This Page:

A quick question regarding jumps..well landings actually!!

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Dixie66

A quick question regarding jumps..well landings actually!!

Post by Dixie66 »

All booked up for a solo static line charity jump June 11th. It's using a square chute which gives more control over where you land, so does that mean the landing with a round army chute is still a lot harder on the body or have they improved the design to allow for slower/easier landings?, cause i know historically the first chutes were very unforgiving, i've heard "like a sack of potatoes" in reference to the landing.

Got my eye on 7 RHA, should have selection spot mid June, doing the jump before to see if i like that sort of thing.

Thanks guys
got1

Post by got1 »

It depends on the wind and you own abillity to access it.
The other difference is, you could have 80/100lbs of kit hanging from you. :)
druadan

Post by druadan »

Landing rounds can be a little painful, especially if the wind's quick. You can only scrub a few knots off your speed and have little control over direction. You do come down pretty quick. Squares generate their own drive by the canopy shape, and you can steer, so to land you turn into wind, which reduces your speed to drive speed of the chute minus wind speed...then you can also flare which slows you further and (if timed rightly) gives you a little lift as you're about to touch down, allowing you to walk out of it happily. I've been assured by lads who've jumped far more rounds than I have that it is possible in the right conditions to land a round standing, but I've never seen it and never got close myself :roll: Squares are a hell of a lot more fun to jump.
Dixie66

Post by Dixie66 »

Thanks guys, i get a whole day training for the jump and then attempt it the day after so looking forward to learning alot more and of course testing my nerve at 3,500ft!!

I'll put all the thoughts about dodgy landings and injuries out of my head...well at least until i see the ground a lot closer, then i'm sure it will cross my mind!!
got1

Post by got1 »

druadan, Stand up with a round ,i've done quite few times when the conditions are right, i've also done a few where i've landed and just fell over because I missjudged it.
You also got a bollocking if you were caught doing stand ups, I think the PJI's didn't like you doing things that they could do.
BTW the stand ups I did were in clean fatigue.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Your average jump is from 800 feet and if you have a full weapons contianer then you will spend very ilttle time in the air. When you are about to land you will feel a lift when the weapons contianer hits the deck and if you have been pulling down quite hard on your lift webs you can let those go as well and if you time all right you will hit the ground with just a small jolt. You can just a gentle roll to keep every one happy.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

i would always 'arrive' with the grace of an elephant at best of times :o
'Every man an Emperor'
Dixie66

Post by Dixie66 »

Just another question: Are all jumps static line?, i have read you do two night jumps, 6 others with and without containers but nothing about FF.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Nearly all military jumping is static line, rounds, squares, HAHO. HALO is obviously FF, but outside SF you won't be doing much of that.

Got1/Tab, I'll keep trying then :roll: