Share This Page:

selection april 28th and not fit enough

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
dom18uk

selection april 28th and not fit enough

Post by dom18uk »

i have selection on 28th april at pirbright not got to much upper body strengh not done enough trainging as work 12 hours a day can do 4 pull ups, sit ups and press ups are improving any one got any advise i am going into rac
BARB-62
ADSC-PASSED
DATE UNKNOWN
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

If you aint fit enough then tell yout recruiter and put back your date, if you fail on fitness you will be defered for six months trust me.
wrighta09

Post by wrighta09 »

can you fail on the upper body strengths or just the run, or does it all go together as one mark?
AIRBUS

Re: selection april 28th and not fit enough

Post by AIRBUS »

dom18uk wrote:i have selection on 28th april at pirbright not got to much upper body strengh not done enough trainging as work 12 hours a day can do 4 pull ups, sit ups and press ups are improving any one got any advise i am going into rac
Hi dom

Talk to your recruiter and defer your ASDC date.
It will totaly demoralise you to go and get knocked back on fitness and simply extend the time from application to training.

Trust me on this one, Its better to improve your fitness and then go pass selection than to go and get knocked back.
:soldier_thumbs_up:
dom18uk

Re: selection april 28th and not fit enough

Post by dom18uk »

AIRBUS wrote:
dom18uk wrote:i have selection on 28th april at pirbright not got to much upper body strengh not done enough trainging as work 12 hours a day can do 4 pull ups, sit ups and press ups are improving any one got any advise i am going into rac
Hi dom

Talk to your recruiter and defer your ASDC date.
It will totaly demoralise you to go and get knocked back on fitness and simply extend the time from application to training.

Trust me on this one, Its better to improve your fitness and then go pass selection than to go and get knocked back.
:soldier_thumbs_up:

hello thanks for your advise i phoned my recruiter and had to speak to some one else as my recruiter was not avalible, i asked about putting date back and they said nah just got try your best i told them running aint the problem they said, just do your best with the upper body strengh.

im off to selection tomorro, i dont think il pass as can not do the required push ups, just going to try my best.
BARB-62
ADSC-PASSED
DATE UNKNOWN
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

how far from the required are you? I suggest you start following the 100 push up plan ( google it i cant remember the exact link) and then on the selection give it your best.
My freind also could not do the needed pressups but he gave his max effort the whole time he was there so they said he would be given a slightly later intake day and give him time to bring the last bits up to scratch. just do your best you can and show them your willing to put in the effort needed. good luck!
just_me

Post by just_me »

I take it you mean the 100 pushups for breakfast?
I'm not really convinced of how well it works, I tried it for about a month or two a while back and I'm not sure it really helped myself.
gooner_27

Post by gooner_27 »

I didnt have to do any push ups at selection or sit ups, Just had to do heaves, the static lifts and upper and lower back strength tests.
BARB TEST 60
WRITTEN MED PASSED
FORMAL INTERVIEW PASSED
ADSC PASSED
INTAKE 30TH NOVEMBER 2009 ATR PIRBRIGHT
ROYAL LOGISTIC CORPS
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

http://hundredpushups.com/

I was doing that before I was doing Military Preparation College in Brighton and went from being able to do a meager 19 press ups in 2 mins ( I know that's bad) to doing 93 in 2 mins. Huge improvement in just 6 weeks with very little time invested out of my normal day.
Dixie66

Post by Dixie66 »

Dom18uk, not sure how you attempt your press ups but 2 mins to do 44 full press ups, doesn't mean you need to do them in one hit.
I wasn't sure until i spoke with my recruiting Sgt and he said "you have 2 mins to do 44 press ups" so doesn't matter if you do 43 in 1 minute and then rest for 55 secs before doing the 44th as long as you meet the criteria, hoever can't imagine anyone doing 43 with a minute spare and then only trying one more!! but you get my point.

I managed 30 in one hit the other day but took longer recovering to try the other 14. I've managed 48 another way, which isn't bad considering upper body strength isn't one of my...well..strengths. I do 10 quick, rest a few secs another 10 and so on, usually i manage 35 in one min doing it this way which leaves the minute to do 14 or more.

Hope this helps
dom18uk

Post by dom18uk »

hello cheers for the replys passed selection, had good time there meet some good people, i rearly messed up on my ice breacker but got accepted for my job, only thing is in my interview he said my recruiter has already put my regiment down rtr i had no problem with that till i come back and done bit of research and found out they are scottis. dont want to be with a bunch of scottish people as used to work with a scottish firm before and could not understand a word of it will it be alright to change regiments?
BARB-62
ADSC-PASSED
DATE UNKNOWN
ofens

Post by ofens »

dont want to be with a bunch of scottish people as used to work with a scottish firm before and could not understand a word of it will it be alright to change regiments?
Yeah don't put yourself out mate, find a regiment - or indeed a job somewhere - in which you'll never, ever come into contact with any Scottish people,
or anyone else with an accent you might find difficult to understand, or even in any situation that you might find difficult or challenging.
I mean, why put yourself through the adversity?
i had no problem with that till i come back and done bit of research and found out they are scottis.
Thank goodness you did your research afterward! An inspired approach.
Last edited by ofens on Sat 02 May, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gooner_27

Post by gooner_27 »

Well done on passing selection, Your going to come across plenty of soldiers with a vast array of accents through your army career, The scottish accent is going to be the least of your worries.
BARB TEST 60
WRITTEN MED PASSED
FORMAL INTERVIEW PASSED
ADSC PASSED
INTAKE 30TH NOVEMBER 2009 ATR PIRBRIGHT
ROYAL LOGISTIC CORPS
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

just_me wrote:I take it you mean the 100 pushups for breakfast?
I'm not really convinced of how well it works, I tried it for about a month or two a while back and I'm not sure it really helped myself.
Just started to give this a go, doesn't look too bad. There is also a one for 200 situps which I'm going to have a go at. (you can get it using the link above)
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
just_me

Post by just_me »

Ok well let me know if it works for you and if it does I will give it another go. Same with the situps one which I will look now. Thanks.