Share This Page:

Is Fact Stranger Than Fiction

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Tab

Is Fact Stranger Than Fiction

Post by Tab »

I was talking to another old Paratrooper from my old Battalion and he was telling me a story that no one believes.

Now back in 1954 1 Para was in Egypt and they were told to prepare for action. The planes arrived the trucks and guns were strapped to pallets and they were all armed to the teeth. The were called to the Mess Hall and informed there was good news and bad news. The CO announced that they had been chosen to reinforce the French at Denbinphu the bad news was the the French had surrendered so it had been called off.

The Battalion then went back to England where the the Corp of Drums and the Band of 1 Para were issued with a smart new blue uniform. They were then shipped out to Paris were they led a parade down the Champ Elysees to thank them for nearly going to war for them.

When they returned to England the blue uniforms were taken from them and they were told to forget it ever happened. There are very few phonographs of this happening and even the Regiment has never heard of it. One person that has some photos is a chap called foster who was I believe a private at the time and who rose right through the ranks.

Well if any one can add any thing to this story I would love to hear from them.

Here is the only known Photograph of this parade

Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Very interesting. Hugh McLeave wrote 'The Damned Die Hard', a book about the history of the French Foreign Legion which includes an account of Dien Bien Phu.

The 2nd REP jumped into Dien Bien Phu to help relieve their 'brother' Legionnaires from the 1st REP, who were about to be overwhelmed.

The book claims that the 2nd REP insisted that they would jump, despite the knowledge that the situation was already lost. Only a handful survived to be taken prisoner by the Viet Minh.

A more clinical account can be viewed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dien_Bien_Phu
When Navarre realized that he was trapped, he appealed for help. The United States was approached and some advisers suggested the use of tactical nuclear weapons against the Việt Minh, but this was never seriously considered. Another suggestion was that conventional air raids would be enough to scatter Giáp's troops. U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, however, refused to intervene unless the British and other Western allies agreed. Churchill declined, claiming that he wanted to wait for the outcome of the peace negotiations taking place in Geneva, Switzerland, before becoming involved in escalating the war.
The last bit is interesting.
Last edited by Obi Wan Kenobi on Sun 08 Feb, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

i remember my Gran saying something about this but never elaborated on it enough i was young at the time so it didn't really grab my attention. why would it be ''covered'' up as such? or made to be forgotten thou?
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
kev101

Post by kev101 »

That's what i would like to know!
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Not the same story, but in a similar vein, here's one that most people will be unaware of.

Certain Brit airborne units who were in Kosovo in 1999 were stood by, and were very close to, mounting an operation against Russian armoured units that were heading to Pristina. Only a last minute intervention stopped the operation from going ahead and probable massive knock on effects.