Share This Page:

Joining the military...

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
Irishlad

Joining the military...

Post by Irishlad »

Hey everyone, I found this site about a week ago and decided to join today as i have a few questions to ask ye a few questions. First of all, let me say that i posted this in all sections(raf paras etc..) as im not sure of which branch i want to join...

I always wanted to join the military(army in particular) and have got information sent to me from recruiters in the north regarding the BA and also i have applied for the Irish defence forces. Unfortunately a week or two before by interview the DOD decided due to budget cuts they werent recruiting for the foreseeable future(2010 estimated). This may have been a blessing in disguise as I wanted a more active soldering career which I may not have got with the Irish army as they are not in conflict zones and generally only do peace keeping or peace enforcement missions(not that these arent dangerous or people dont get hurt).

My questions
1. How long is the training?
2.What is the fitness needed(pullups,pushups, time running etc)
3.What is basic training like
4.What is basic pay when qualified and is their a pay increase when stationed outside of the uk(germany,afghanistan etc.)
5.Is there much travel oppurtunities?
6.How much holidays do you get a year...Do these have to be used in blocks i.e. 2 weeks together or take maybe a monday and tuesday off if i decide to go back to Ireland for a few days?
7.What is the generall attitude to Irish recruits?
8.I read somewhere that you have to join for 18 years..Is this true?

If I have anymore questions i will edit this or create a new post.....

Thanks in advance
melons666

Post by melons666 »

Generally ive always found the Irish to be recieved as hearty drinkers and good fun, why wouldn't you like this! I don't think this is anything you should worry about. Trainings around 6 weeks and i think the PJFT is around 1.5 miles in 12mins. Its said that once you get through the first few weeks it gets better. I think pays around goes up to like 15k after training. Not entirely sure but I hope i've helped.
Cheers
Josh