Share This Page:

Question - SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
adamb

Question - SAS

Post by adamb »

If you wanted to join the SAS is the selection took at an ADSC like inf,para,etc or is it different? Can you apply for SAS at a normal AFCO? and whats the requirments e,g run, heaves etc.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Or is it like the RM PRMC and requires an assault course, 3mile run etc?
just_me

Post by just_me »

Is this a joke or is it serious? It HAS to be a joke right?
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Adam, you can only join the SAS after 3 years service, not through an AFCO.

For selection, read a book by a former/serving SAS soldier, there's a few out there. The only one I've read was Andy McNab's 'Immediate Action'- quite a good read actually.

But prehaps a Google search might have saved a few blushes? :wink:

just_me, if your so smart, why didn't you at least point him in the right direction?
just_me

Post by just_me »

Because I thought this was a joke topic.
Grumbleweed

Post by Grumbleweed »

Does anyone know what is involved with the medical prior to pre selection?

Also, when is the 8 miler?

Regards

GW
druadan

Post by druadan »

The medical is simply to ensure you are fit for the training - the usual military stuff, hearing, eyesight etc, check history, clear any old injuries blah blah.

The 8 miler is the CFT which every serving - I want to say soldier, but it may just be infantry - has to do once a year, and is a pre-requisite to starting the course proper - it's done at the start.

I'm sure it's been said before, but if you seriously want to look at SF, get yourself on a briefing course, they tell you everything they're happy to be released into the public domain about Selection. Beware if you're looking at SBS/R the briefing course is designed to reflect the levels of fitness required, so you are expected to go there ready or almost ready to begin the hills, whereas the SAS course is more of an intro course that doesn't require you to be AS fit at the time (just two different methodologies, obviously Selection itself is the same for all). If you're looking at the reserves from civvy street, see the AFCO.
Baron Greenback

Post by Baron Greenback »

or of course UKSF have their own website at http://www2.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_fo ... /index.htm
Baron Greenback

Post by Baron Greenback »

nk.sheridan wrote:or of course UKSF have their own website at http://www2.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_fo ... /index.htm
UKSF Reserves, that is.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Yeah it was serious i didn't have a clue lol, thanks anyway.