Share This Page:

self-harm

Require help and assistance, please ask?
0burzum0

self-harm

Post by 0burzum0 »

I'm applying for AFC(H) in january and I would like some help please:

Well, 3 or 4 years ago I went through a rough patch ( bullying at school and parents arguing at home) and i did some self-harm . I was wondering, would this get me defered?? or do you think that if I explained my case I should get through medical fine?

also, in a completely unrelated incident i kept bugging my mate who did tattoos to do me one, he kept explaining that he had no ink, well a few beers/ciders later i asked him again to do it without ink - basically a tattoo without ink, him slightly under the influence too accepted the offer and proceded to cut me a cross and a star, one on each thigh. should I put that on the tattoo list on the application? would it be classed as a tattoo?? also due to my self harm in the past do you would think that it would mount in evidence for deferal?? (I wouldnt think so as my friend did it but you never know)

if i did happen to get deffered would i be able to appeal? I have had no mental health issues since, it was a one off occasion, my GP could vouch for me.

this has been the honest truth, any help would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
steve
just_me

Post by just_me »

Psychiatric disorders: Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia. OCD. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type. PTSD. Achohol, drug or substance dependence. ADHD unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia.
This is from the "Application to serve in the Armed Forces Guidance notes" (pg5) of things that make a person "permantly unsutible for entry into the Services"

It does also say:
"Note: THIS TABLE IS FOR GENERAL GUIDANCE ONLY" so perhaps ask at your AFCO.
This is not my opinion or anything, this is what I read in the Guidance notes so I take it to be fact.

I don't know if your "tatoos" will count as self-harm, I would imagine so but as I don't know alot on this subject perhaps you should wait for somebody else to answer.
0burzum0

Post by 0burzum0 »

My mate said that its possible to send your medical question/ condition in a sealed envelope to the afco/acio and they acn send it from there to a medical officer or something, i might do that.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Yes although you must have started the application process already.