Share This Page:

Treadmill problem

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Well, don't worry too much about the time. It doesn't matter if you get 9:59 seconds, a pass is a pass. First minute start off at 14 then turn it up to 16 until you get to about 5-6minute mark and then hammer it out at 17-18. Watch the distance just melt away quicker than the time.

I got 9mins bang on when I did mine because I hadn't practiced on a treadmill before. The last couple of minutes I just jacked it up to 17 and then increased it gradually and the distance just drops off.

You'll smash it if you can run comfortably on a treadmill, it's far easier than running on roads and fields.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Ty

Post by Ty »

Also, just for some updated news. The PJFT was suppose to be changed to the 3 miler run September 1st. This has been pushed back to October 1st at the earliest.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

If this is worrying anyone, don't be worried. You just have to train faster for a 3miler instead. Start including hill sprints in your aerobic exercises and get stuck in with the Interval training on your 3mile runs. Keep your heart rate working high so your body adapts so your heart rate can recover quicker.

That's fitness for you in a nutshell.

All the best lads. Strong.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

Hey guys, tested myself on the treadmill this weekend for the three miler for the PJFT. I did the first 1.5 in 10:02 and the second 09:59. I need to work on the timing on the treadmill for the first one, but just wanted to complete it. Does anyoen know for sure when the date will change for the PJFT? because I have my medical and interview in September, and they believe my PJFT will in September as well.
druadan

Post by druadan »

1.5 miles in 12.30...

8 min miles will give you 12 mins, which will allow time for treadmill to speed up. That's 7.5mph, or 12kph. Without knowing how they'll view it, I'd advise running the first 1.5 as close to the time as possible, then best effort for the second 1.5. The 3 miler on PRMC and your annual BFT is done that way, with the first half paced as close as possible to the 12.30 then best effort (it's only the best effort half which counts for anything - as I said, I don't know if they'll take the same approach on the PJFT, but I'd imagine so).
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Just an update then.....I passed with a 9.55. The nerves I had before were almost crippling lol. Im just safe in the knowledge I never have to go near a treadmill again. Im pretty dissapointed with that time though, I think nerves and what I ate on the day didnt help, but oh well.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

DID IT!

Hey guys had my PJFT sprung on me after passing my medical. Was well chuffed with my time and myself. “9 min 06secs"

Put in my best effort and was really blowing afterward but it felt so good!

Interview next week!

I am so excited
Patrick

That's strange

Post by Patrick »

Why have you only run 1.5 miles in 9m 06s?

I was told in mid August by my AFCO to forget the 1.5 mile run and concentrate on the new 3 mile run for the September changes. We're now well into September so what's your AFCO playing at?

Congratulations btw, but make sure you're still up to the 3 miler.

Good luck with the interview as well.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Ty wrote:Also, just for some updated news. The PJFT was suppose to be changed to the 3 miler run September 1st. This has been pushed back to October 1st at the earliest.
I'd guess this is why.

JCooke, good luck with the interview.
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

Hey Patrick, You commented on my topic entitled "No change to PJFT" in the main thread section, in which I explained that the PJFT would not change until later in the year due to administration problems. I asked you in that post as well but guess you haven’t re-checked it, how far you are into your application? Sounds like we could be at similar stages?.. Might see you at Lympstone! Would be good to know people before going down I reckon.

Thanks for the positive comments Eddie I cant wait to crack on with it and get down to Lympstone.
Patrick

Yeah didn't see that one

Post by Patrick »

Thanks for that Eddie. I didn't see it up there, as long as its the same for everyone I guess. The guy at my AFCO said September but I guess not.

Hi Jcooke, you did reply to my PJFT comment, sorry for not answering. I was in conversation about press ups at the time, my post is accidently under Army instead of Royal Marines. My application is stuck on medical delays at the moment.

Good news about your PJFT pass, well done. I'm not that far yet. You lucky sod, only having to do half the distance. :wink: Good luck with the interview.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
803troop

Post by 803troop »

Why do so many fail the PJFT though?

When I did it (Nov '00) and you had to do it on the PRMC and No-one failed.

Is it because the people who join up now aren't putting the required effort in? To be fair, the targets aren't hard to reach if you commit yourself to training.

Baz
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

I dont think its the PJFT people are failing on, I thinks its the 3miler on PRMC that gets most people....according to my recruiter.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Around 75% of all PRMC failures occur on the 3 mile run so I can see the point of the new PJFT as it should pretty much elimate 3/4 of the failures down there and therefore save the RM a shit load of money on wasted train fairs.
Ty

Post by Ty »

It has been confirmed that on October 1st, the new PJFT 3.0 miler will be implemented.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing