Share This Page:

Treadmill problem

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dave_1987

Treadmill problem

Post by Dave_1987 »

I've got my pjft on monday and treadmills are really starting to p!ss me off, I've tried it 3 times in the last 2 weeks and got 10.03 secs twice and one 10.04 secs. Im putting it on 14.4kph for the first 7.30 then speeding it up, so for the last minute or so im on full speed (16kph). But its taking 30 seconds to speed up to 14.4 so im losing 30 secs off my final time. How do they do it at the gym? because really im doing it in around 9.30 (I think). I phoned up the gym to question them about it but I didnt really understand how he explained it, anyone done it recently that can reasure me its done fairly.

Ok waffle over!! :oops:
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

You doing it at LA fitness? Don't think their treadmills will take that long to get up to speed. When I did mine, I pretty much did what you just described and easily made it in under 10 mins.

Failing that, just increase your speed to the maximum 30 seconds earlier, just to be sure.

On a side note - is it true they are changing the PJFT as of next month to make it a bit tougher? I've heard the following changes will be made:
1. Its to be run on 2% incline
2. First you do 2.4km in 12:30
3. Then you have 1 min rest
4. Then you do 2.4km again but must do it in under 10:30

Is this right? I've heard its because 75% of fails at PRMC are on the 3-miler (which I can believe, certainly on my PRMC the only people who failed failed because of the 3-miler)

Anyway, good luck Dave. I'm sure on the day, with the adrenaline, you'll do your PB anyway.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

I've not heard anything about them changing it, that does sound really dramatic. It would make sense though because my recruiter told me nearly every fail for the PRMC he sees is for the 3miler.

The gyms they now do the pjft at is 'Fitness First'. I spoke to the guy at fitness first on the phone and he said something about pre-programming it so that it beeps when you've done 2.4k. Not sure how that helps with the speed up time though. At worst Il just have to start sprinting 30 secs eariler. But even then It will probably only give me a time of just under 10mins. Its just a bit confusing, thats all.

Cheers for your reply though mate.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Yep, PJFT is changing to the above as of 1st Sept.

Dave, check your PM.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Thanks Eddie, big help mate.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Could anyone that has done one recently, or knows whats what confirm?

I'd like to know if I can set and adjust the speed at which the treadmill goes?

When I train for the PJFT I start at 16.2kph (roughly 10 Mile an hour), then every 20-30 seconds sprint up to my gyms max (20KPH) hold for 10 seconds, then head down to 16.2 (for a 30-60 seconds) then back to max.
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

Well thats me not gettin in the corps anytime in the near future :evil:

i struggle to hit 10 mins and finish let alone do it twice..super!
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

The treadmills at LA Fitness are bollocks. They take a piss long time to speed up to 16kph. I got 9:18 on my PJFT and I set it straight to 16kph. Theory time is 9:00 dead but it took 18 seconds to speed up from stop. Shouldnt be too difficult to work out how long it'll take to speed up from other speeds.
druadan

Post by druadan »

smudger, no offence mate but that's exactly why they're doing it; you wouldn't pass the three miler if you can't run that. 2% incline is said to best represent running on the road on a treadmill. 12.30 is bloody slow, you'd be surprised how much difference the 2 minutes makes...instead of running 7 minute miles, you're running over 8 minute miles. It's the pace the squadded part of the three miler is done at.

7 minute miles over three or four miles is a good base point for entering training, and really isn't that fast a pace, especially when you consider marathon runners crack 5 minute miles for hours...granted it may take more training for some than others to get there, but better to do it now than struggle later. To do it for a mile and a half is a minimum standard for entry to the Corps.

Oh, and if the treadmill's taking a while to get up to speed, stick it up earlier!

Taxman, certainly when I did mine (four and a half years ago mind) you could set the speed yourself, they just told you the minimum you'd have to go. I stuck it at 16kph for the whole thing and got 9.09. What you're doing is gonna get a great time, but would it not be more efficient to set a constant speed rather than fartlekking it? Don't know, just curious.
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

No i understand that mate but the more established members on this forum will remember from ages ago i have this bogey with treadmills its almost comical to be honest druadan, i can run three miles in my sleep in the alotted time but me doing it on a treadmill is a different story, just can not get my head around it, been trying three years this december!!..and also, ive had the same injury for about 2.5 years that nobody can diagnose or treat because there useless! so ive had enough of waiting months on end for pointless tests and just crack on through it

it will catch up to me in the end but...well il just learn the hard way.
i proved this on my last rmad, i got top scores all more or less double maximum!

:wink:
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Smudge, like anyone thats been there or done it would say, and I can put my hand on heart and say, if you can meet the requirements. Exdex - everything is is a big cock competition.

Duran, Almost the exact time im looking at a min. 16.2 should give 9:00 (but bearing in mind you have to accelerate to that speed 9:09 is pretty solid).

I dont want to run at a constant speed,(dont take what im saying as fact) the body/heart responds better over a short distance/time by varying the heart rate. i.e at 16.2 the heart beat gets to a steady pace, but by upping and lowering the pace the heart beats faster and you get pulses of adrenaline? Tho im prolly talking B0ll0x.

Ive told my AFCO I can do mile half in 8:30, and 3 mile in under 18 - but im 30 and ive got somthing to prove to them - and myself, im not too old to crack it.
Yes I want to be ahead of the game, IF I get as far as RT, cos come week 16+ I dont want to be out of my depth cos my muscles dont recover as quick.

Dave, if you can do it in 10:03, and you estimate it'll cost you 30 seconds, you know you can dig in and get atleast 5 seconds back on the day?

GL, im completely envious of you!
Last edited by Taxman on Thu 28 Aug, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

just had my phycometric test and passed! cant wait, got my medical and interview now, but as long as I crack that, then I should be good for pjft. What speed sould I stick the running machines on to hit the desired times? or do they set it for you automatically?
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

I think its a good idea the way they are changing pjft,cos lets face it running on a treadmill is nothing like on the road.I absolutely hate treadmills by the way,always have done;can't get used to running on a floor thats moving under me,and the fact that the belt seems too thin so I somehow seem to run with one foot directly infront of the other,and my calfs always give in first before my fitness which results in me slapping my feet off the treadmill and my form going all to pot.

Anyway,for me I think Taxmans approach is best,cos putting it at a constant pace just wears me down and I finish up clock watching and wanting to stop,whereas if I put it on a fast jog pace for so long,then bang it up to a full run/sprint I seem to be able to do more distance in less time cos mentally I know the fast pace is only a burst and wont last that long.

I've also found that you can sort of cheat the treadmill better when you put it up to 16+ kmph;I used to do it at the gym where I would get my mate to set it to 18-20kmph just to see how long I could do it for and I was surprised that although I was full on sprinting I could do it for a minute or two.Reason is,I think,cos what I started to do was spring myself up in the air for longer,bigger strides aswell,so that more 'road' passes under you each stride.It feels abit like your skipping forward and up,and if you can set it to 18-20kmph for a minute or two then Im sure it would bring your average up considerably enough to not worry about a slow start or the treadmill reaching the required speed on time.In contrast,if I was to run (sprint) at 18-20kmph on the road (Ive got a HRM with footpod so can check my speed) then I'd only be able to do it for 20-30 seconds max before having to slow right down.

Thats just the approach that works for me,cos mentally I think its easier to have a harsh but fast burning pain,than endure a not so harsh but much longer and slower death by CV.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Ty

Post by Ty »

Also, remember that adrenaline is a great thing. When you get there, and you have them testing you and a small audience, you'll push yourself like you won't believe. Im not saying it's obviously an automatic pass, however you'll dig deeper in yourself then normal. Just crack on with it.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Weirdly enough I sometimes found treadmills tougher at the alledged same pace due to the lack of air flowing over you, I'm one of those people that dehydrates really quick.

For the lads panicking over PJFT, if your comfortably in range then the challenge on the day will see you through, no worries.