Share This Page:

Insight Course Help

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
DJSOLUTION

Post by DJSOLUTION »

hey Militaryman,

First of all the Insight Course is to find out what life in the Para's is like. I havent been there my self but am booked in for start of september. What you need to be aiming for is
50 - 70 press ups and sit ups
7 underarm pullups
1.5m in 9:18
However this is not a test and you will not pass or fail, it is really there to give your AFCO a idea of what level your training at and for you to see if its something you want to progress with.
As for the Marine Vs Paras I used to be like you before christmas but have looked into both in alot of detail and decided the paras are for me, so if you seriously take time to look into both you should know what you want to do.

Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted!
Application sent - 16/07/2008
BARB Test - 04/08/2008 PASSED
Insight course - 05/09/2008 PASSED
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

The insight course is a really good crack. Keep your fitness up so when you get there you do ok on all the tasks. If anything all you might get is a little banter over the marines but there was a guy there when i went who decided to go for marines and nothing much was said to him. Just enjoy it and give it your best.

Mike
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

Just to let ya know DJ, I was told on the 18th-20th of July course that it should really be 10 underarm heaves - not being pedantic, I just thought you'd be better off knowing before you get there :)

As for the weekend, the first time I went - a while back now - I managed about what you're getting there Militaryman - plus a couple of minutes on the run, and I wasnt even the slowest, so I wouldnt worry so much about fitness levels.

Its self-assessment though, obviously you dont want to go and do badly, but its worth going just to see what they expect of you, and what you're really capable of when the adrenaline is pumping.

Best of luck with it, and dont sweat it - by the time you get to the log race everyone's chinstrapped anyway, the BFT times seem to go out of the window and it seems to come down to determination most of all :)
DJSOLUTION

Post by DJSOLUTION »

CardSharpe wrote:Just to let ya know DJ, I was told on the 18th-20th of July course that it should really be 10 underarm heaves - not being pedantic, I just thought you'd be better off knowing before you get there :)

All is good its not going to be a problem for me :D

Its just the running I find hardest. I spent so much time bulking up becasue I was as skinny as a rake, now my endurance is acceptable but short sprinting is a misson :(

O Well got to keep at it BTW CardSharpe when have you got your ADSC?
Application sent - 16/07/2008
BARB Test - 04/08/2008 PASSED
Insight course - 05/09/2008 PASSED
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

DJSOLUTION wrote:
CardSharpe wrote:Just to let ya know DJ, I was told on the 18th-20th of July course that it should really be 10 underarm heaves - not being pedantic, I just thought you'd be better off knowing before you get there :)

All is good its not going to be a problem for me :D

Its just the running I find hardest. I spent so much time bulking up becasue I was as skinny as a rake, now my endurance is acceptable but short sprinting is a misson :(

O Well got to keep at it BTW CardSharpe when have you got your ADSC?
I havent booked my ADSC yet, I've been on two insight courses so far and but running still needs work :( Upper body stuff is there at the moment, so I'm just trying to maintain it and get my BFT time down - at the moment its 11 minutes, hopefully the training I'm doing for the Para's 10 should be helping - running seems easier after I've been tabbing with weight on :)

I'm a bit concerned about getting deferred at ADSC, so I'm trying to make sure everything is good before I go too much further :)