Share This Page:

Running Pain?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Iles

Running Pain?

Post by Iles »

Hi,
I haven't posted on here in a long time, I have always wanted to join the Royal Marines, but it has to be said I got a little lost about what I wanted to do with myself over the last couple of years. I'm now in an office job in London and I now realise how much I actually want to join. So I'm now back in serious training and have just realised how out of shape I am cardio wise. I can still knock out about 80-100 proper press-ups but the running leaves a bit to be desired.

Anyway the reason for the post is, Whilst running after only a mile or two I get a really bad pain in my calves, seems to me to be more than just lactic acid, I run through it but it really is quite painful and does slow me down a bit. Also after about 3-4 miles my feet can start to go a bit numb.

I was wondering if anybody had an experience of this before? And am I just less fit than I was before or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance for any Help.
lil_dinger_bell

Post by lil_dinger_bell »

Same thing happened to me, and it eventually went away. I say run through it...as in keep up the good work...but maybe you should just stop, stretch and keep going....eventually it WILL go away.

Many will say don't run through it, which they most probably are right about but when I had mine my dad said keep going.....and he's a RM/Reg vet with a mean record of phys.

So ya keep rocking them out

-lil ding signing off

(sorry for the potential spelling mistakes...im still in last night mode) :wink:
RT Test - May 1st - ?
Medical Examination - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

errr No dont..dont mean to cast any doubt onto the knolwedge of you and your dad, but how do you know its the same condition you had?..

lay off the running or decrease the intensity, make sure you are warming up and down and gettin enough rest.

i made the mistake of running through pain and im still in civvy street 3 years after applying to join the corps because all i did was make the injury worse.

like i said no offence matey but you shouldnt be advising people to run through injurys..its not asif hes got 5 mile to go on dartmoor, :wink:

smudger,
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
lil_dinger_bell

Post by lil_dinger_bell »

Agreed, don't run through it until you know what it is....in time I think it will go away, and my feet still go a bit numb after 4-6 miles...it makes running easier when you can't feel the pain anymore... 8)

Hope all is well,

- on an off-note, I ran my first mile after my POC broken leg incident...it went well.

Okey Dokey
RT Test - May 1st - ?
Medical Examination - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

If this has been happening for a few months, it ain't going. I had the same, by the end of a run my entire lower legs were tingling and numb.

Went to see a podiatrist, had orthotics made and bobs your uncle no more pain to this day, I can jump, skip, sprint you name it not even so much as a tweak.

Basically my natural "body mechanics" was crap for running, there were imbalances in my stride that was causing inflammation.

See mate basically very few of us have "perfect" legs for running. My guess it you have some kind of issue with your gait that is making the injury getting worse, like mine did. In my case it was curved fibia and my right leg slightly shorter than my left. I sound like a freak but youd be shocked how common these things are. Lads who come on here and have shin splints and other leg issues after months and months of taking it easy have got gait problems.

So my advice, go and get a consultation with a Podiatrist. Okay it may cost £30, big deal it will save you a lot of time and heartache because I can assure you recruit training with it's lack of sleep and constant phys/activity will bring any existing injury to the fore very quickly. A few lads in my troop got Huntered for these type of problems, one got MD'ed for shin splints.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

If you're a UKer and as poor as me, it may be worth hitting up the NHS for it. Let them know you are joining the army/marines/para's sharpish and they'll get you on an appointment asap. It worked for me.
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

It may also benefit you to have some coaching on your running technique.Admittedly I myself have a poor technique,which Im trying to sort out:I seem to slap my feet off the ground which puts alot of pressure on the joints,I waste alot of effort overreaching and alway fatigue my leg muscles before my CV goes,and after some runs my hip aches for a day or two.You need to make your running more efficient,bend your legs more so your not striking the floor with a stiff leg that jolts,shorten your stride so your not overreaching,try not to let your knees go back too much,try to increase your cadence and spend less time in contact with the ground.It sounds easy to do but its hard to perfect as Im finding out.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'