Share This Page:

Joining the SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

So it's not the first time they've decided that 30K+ a year and 4 days on / 4 days off was a raw deal then?

Still - it was some of the best training I ever had with the STABs - First Aid At Work and Health and Safety and all that - didn't get to drive the Nee-Naw unfortunately.

Not that I'm bitter about that or anything.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

CaptStabbo

Isn't there a Para Brigade?

I don't remember them being part of the Fire Service?

As far as I remember a Brigade is made up of three units. They may be three Parachute Regiments or three Commando Units.

As far as RM are concerned - it consists of 40, 42 and 45 Commando. That constitutes 3 Cdo Brigade, except it also includes some "auxilliary" units that are attached such as Royay Artillery, Royal Engineers and other units.

The important thing, is that all attached ranks have to "earn" the Green Beret.

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
milwr

Post by milwr »

These postings make good reads, so I thought I'd put my mind's worths in.

Are the SAS "COMMANDOS"?

As correctly stated earlier, a "commando" unit is one that performs small scale "commando raids" using largely asymmetric forms of warfare. They can be classed into various different named units such as: Royal Marine Commandos, SEALS, Delta Force, SAS, SBS, even elements of regular infantry, artillery and non-state groups such as the Taliban. The Cuban Revolution was fought by state and non-state forces. The non-state forces, the revolutionaries, were rural guerrilla forces that performed a mixture of staged battles and hit and run attacks.

Considering the historical linkage from the Boer Wars, the Dutch appreciation of commando forces, and even Winston Churchill's mention of the commando raids, it can be said that any force-either formal, informal, state or non-state, marine based or not-which performs commando style attacks is therefore a "commando" unit. Concerning al-Qaeda: this "organisation" is not a military one. It is purely management, ideological and financial. While individuals and groups perform events in the name of al-Qaeda or any other numerable similar organisation, al-Qaeda is not a commando unit, military force or anything similar.

The argument about whether or not the SAS are commandos is clearly two-fold. Are we arguing that they came from the Royal Marines, and therefore arguing a "chicken and the egg" scenario? From my point of view, it's clear: the SAS are indeed commandos as they are tasked to perform, and trained for, the stereotypical "commando raid". However, in name they are clearly not. Historically? It is clear that the Parachute Regiment, Royal Marine Commandos and the SAS all share similar lineage. So, yes..and no: they are commandos, but not Commandos.