Share This Page:

Question on running length

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
commandocrazy

Question on running length

Post by commandocrazy »

Hello everyone was just wondering should I run further than 3 miles before I go to CTC? If so whats the furthest I should be running?
CardSharpe

Re: Question on running length

Post by CardSharpe »

commandocrazy wrote:Hello everyone was just wondering should I run further than 3 miles before I go to CTC? If so whats the furthest I should be running?
I dont know anything at all about CTC, however, I just got the book "Fighting Fit" by Adrian Weale which seems to come highly recommended by most people on these boards - it has a training program on there aimed at the Royal Marines that seems to include atleast one "Run - 45 mins steady" and one "Run - 1 hour fartlek" a week. I normally cover 5-6 miles atleast in 1 hour, and I'm only just really starting my training program.

I'm normally the one asking questions on here hehe, so I'm really not a reliable source of information sadly, however the book, which does seem to come recommended by the more knowledgable on here, suggests that perhaps you should be doing 5-6 miles.

I wouldnt think you'd go far wrong if you make sure you can do 6 before you go :) at worst atleast you'll be ahead of the game! Either way good hunting at CTC! Give 'em hell!

I'd also highly recommend the book, lots of good information in there, its on amazon for a pittance too!
Last edited by CardSharpe on Thu 22 May, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Cant give any professional advice, just my personal experience, but I (do and) would run alot further than 3 miles.

Im almost 30, so I want to know how far I can go to my limit, do you know what yours is?
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
fodd

Post by fodd »

Make sure your fit enough to pass the 3 mile run.

But my advice would be to run 5-6 mile runs twice a week you dont need to hammer the distances just enough for you to have some decent stamina but most of training early on is circuit training fast explosive phys its the latter stages of training where you will start doing the distances and you will be built up to these.

As has been said by artist follow the green book it was made by royal.
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

If the answer is always 'follow the green book', does there really need to be a MF&T website?
tomharto30

Post by tomharto30 »

In all fairness, the green book is the best way, thats what its there for, just follow that exactly, and if you have the characteristics to be a bootneck you will pass, simple, thats what its there for, they don't give it to you for just a bit of bed time reading.
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

In all fairness, the green book is the best way, thats what its there for, just follow that exactly, and if you have the characteristics to be a bootneck you will pass, simple, thats what its there for, they don't give it to you for just a bit of bed time reading.
Training isn't a 'one-size fits all' package. Yes, the Green Book is a decent enough routine, but it doesn't take into account the strengths and weaknesses of the individual. If people come on here asking questions and all they get from the old and bold is "look in the green book you were given at the AFCO you fecking nark" they'll soon piss off elsewhere.
tomharto30

Post by tomharto30 »

misterpurple wrote:Training isn't a 'one-size fits all' package.
I probably wouldn't know because I havent done it or anything. In training theres no exceptions for weaknesses when it comes to tests etc. everyone has to be at the standard or higher, simple as, and that standard is reached by being told what to do, whether thats in the gym or on bottom filed or at the very start of your career using the info given to you by your AFCO. Obviously you want an arguement, I didnt say that every question on this site should be answered with 'look at the green booklet' but in terms of fitness everthing you need to know is in the info provided and if you follow it there will be no problems, if its in not in the green booklet then its just common sense, like 'im weak at press-ups, what should I do?' If you don't know the answer then you clearly shouldn't be a bootneck.
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

My advice would be to mix it up.So for example,do a timed 6 miler on monday,a fartlek on wednesday say 3-5 miles,and then maybe a 1.5 mile sprint on friday or interval sprint session(could even include hill sprints),and if your upto it then add a light jog on other days.Its best to look at the prmc tests with the attitude of smashing them,because the tests aren't isolated so to speak cos you'll be knackerd from the accumulative effect of all the tests.So,when training for the 3 miler,try and do 4 milers in training with the mentality that you want to be getting good 3 miler times,so by the time you actually do the 3 miler proper it shud be a bit more comfortable for you than if you just did 3 milers in training.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

The thing with the green bible is that it is used to give you a base level of fitness & once you reach that base level, you then begin to spice up your training schedule.
Artist

Post by Artist »

PAGreenwell wrote:Just follow the programme outlined in the green booklet available from the AFCO.

'Simple as.'
As said.

Artist
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

I probably wouldn't know because I havent done it or anything.
By training I meant generic 'training', not Recruit Training.
Obviously you want an arguement,
Not at all. If I came across that way I apologise.
I didnt say that every question on this site should be answered with 'look at the green booklet'

No you didn't, its just that this advice has become the default from some of the established members, and it sends the wrong message. People come on here for answers to questions. The whole idea of having a forum called 'Military Fitness and Training' is to discuss these things and to get a better understanding of why and how to train. We shouldn't be sending people away to 'read the green bible' just like that. Maybe not everyone even has a copy of the Green Book?
tomharto30

Post by tomharto30 »

At the end of the day I have got more important things to do, like getting shiters than talk/argue with you about something you havent a clue on. So on that note goodbye.
We are what we do
Artist

Post by Artist »

The Green Bible is there as a very basic guide. If you feel that you can run 6 miles, 10 miles then do it!

As with all things when it comes right down to it in the end it's up to the individual. Just crack the PRMC, the Cdo Training, earn the Lid and away you will go!

Artist
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

fodd wrote:Make sure your fit enough to pass the 3 mile run.

But my advice would be to run 5-6 mile runs twice a week you dont need to hammer the distances just enough for you to have some decent stamina but most of training early on is circuit training fast explosive phys its the latter stages of training where you will start doing the distances and you will be built up to these.

As has been said by artist follow the green book it was made by royal.
Exactly. Short intense runs are the name of the game in CTC in the first phase at least. I was given this advice, ignored it then paid the price as I actually lost fitness at CTC cos I concentrated too much on long runs.