Share This Page:

Data theft

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
smudger289

Data theft

Post by smudger289 »

Hey all,

Been a while, hope everyones safe and all is well,

basically I received a letter today from the MOD, apologising to me for losing my data...

It's titled "THEFT OF MINISTRY OF DEFENCE RECRUITMENT DATA"
I shit it at first thinking they were accusing me of it..it goes on to say..

"you may already have heard that an MOD laptop was stolen in Birmingham on the night of the 9th of Jan this year ..

They then say that my data was on it, this includes:
Passport details
driving license
NI number
national health service.

It then says theyve set up a helpline for me to ring, but I need to prove my identity....they contacted me? :-?

I'm not sure at this stage if it's legit, why would my data be on a laptop in Birmingham?

Be aware people, stay safe

smudger :wink:
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
_chris

Post by _chris »

Your information was on a laptop in Birmingham because the MOD are useless and have no idea about data protection. Everyones data thats applied is on it; I always love how they contact you and then say, prove who you are :roll: . What does it matter, you've given all my information away, NOW you start to worry about the security of it :roll: :evil: .
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

viewtopic.php?t=17047

And your dear(unelected) leader want's ID cards????? :o
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Wholley wrote:And your dear(unelected) leader want's ID cards????? :o
I think you'll find Gordon Brown is the (elected) Member of Parliament for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath :wink:

As for ID card in the words of Catherine Tate's foul-mouthed Nan, "What a Fcuking LIBERTY!!!"

Good thing is I doubt they'll ever happen but they've already cost a hell of a lot of money and will continue to cost money, until they're eventually shelved, which we keep being told the Government doesn't have!

They should be scrapped asap, they're unworkable & unwanted.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Alfa wrote: I think you'll find Gordon Brown is the (elected) Member of Parliament for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath :wink:
I take your point.
But,do not Prime Ministers have to be elected?
Just because Blair decided to duck before the excrement collided with the oscillating air mover and handed the reins to a guy he didn't even like doe's that give Broone the right to act as a REAL ELECTED Prime Minister?
No vote,no'hear hear'in the house.
Thinking back to the early seventies Lindon Baines Johnson had to get the backing of Congress before he took over from Nixon.
Seems to me that there are no'checks and balances'in the UK.
Sorry this is a thread hi-jack so I'll warn myself. 8)
_chris

Post by _chris »

The prime minister was elected by the members of the labour party to be their leader. The prime minister is selected by the Queen as the individual most likely to command the support of the house of commons, i.e. the leader of the majority party. The prime minister is never elected by the people; you elect your MP, they do the rest. Gordon Brown was a democratically elected MP, as he was voted the leader of the labour party he rightfully took over as prime minister in keeping with tradition. Obviously there is the argument that perhaps there wasn't enough competion for the leader of the Labour party, but thats really not our place to argue; no one else went for the job they had to pick a leader from those who did.

It is democratic, it's representative democracy, we choose our MPs to represent us; the problem seems to be that people have suddenly realised their MP thinks nothing like them when they go and put twonks like Gordon in charge, and so now wish to have another go at picking an MP (another general election).
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Hmmhmm....what Chris said.
Plus as well the US voted for their president and look what they ended up with. :roll:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Knock it off jabbers.
Our President was elected,twice.

_Chris,
you do not have a representative democracy when your Prime Minisister(sic)is appointed and not elected.
What you have right now is a failing despotcracy which is flailing around trying to find an electorate that will support it.

Before anyone pipes up,the United States is a Presidential Republic not as some seem to assume a democracy.

This really isn't the place for this so I will chastise myself twice 8)
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

You're not a spam are you Wholley? I always thought you were a misguided ex-pat :o
_chris

Post by _chris »

Wholley wrote:you do not have a representative democracy when your Prime Minisister(sic) is appointed and not elected
He was elected, by the labour party as their leader and as an MP. He is elected by the MPs of the majority party as the man they wish to lead, thus representative. Not that I'm argueing are systems perfect, it needs reforming, but to claim unelected is wide of the mark.
803troop

Post by 803troop »

Gordoon Broone is the next Spencer Peceval (PM until 1812)!

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images/ma ... l_shot.jpg

Baz
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Opened the post this morning, I am amongst those whose data has been stolen.

Oh goody.....
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

ADDiction wrote:Opened the post this morning, I am amongst those whose data has been stolen.

Oh goody.....
Loved the sarcasum. :lol:
I'm just waiting for my letter now.... Think I'll w@nk when it comes. :roll:
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

misterpurple wrote:You're not a spam are you Wholley?
Care to expand mister?
Just to make myself perfectly clear,
I am politically somewhere to the right of Vlad the Impaler.
I'm a right wing republican who has voted for both Bushes(I have a joke about that but it's not for here)
Blair suprised me with his support for GW.
Broone suprises me by his complete ineptness.
Loved the way he blamed Darling for the Northern Wreck disaster when it was his fault when at Treasury he disassembled the BoE's right to take control of a failing bank.
Cost to you lot?
£54 billion and counting.
Even the Bearded one has dropped out of the bidding as he can see a further disaster just waiting to happen.
And don't tell me this is all the fault of the US which I hear quite a lot.
Sub Prime?Don't make me laugh. :D
Sully

Post by Sully »

And don't tell me this is all the fault of the US which I hear quite a lot.
Sub Prime?Don't make me laugh.
I'm not aware of any credible commentator who shares that view, in fact, my friend, you're the first person that I have heard express that view. Northern Rock didn't have the depositor base that other banks have so it was a bit too dependent upon the money markets which saw an unprecedented credit squeeze.

I think the Treasury could have acted a bit quicker but that's with a huge amount of hindsight. It shouldn't deflect us from the root cause of the problem which seems to be piles of crap wrapped up in derivative instruments. It's a bit shocking but due to the nature of these 'structured products' I'd guess a lot of banks don't actually know what their exposure to the crisis is.

Here's one view of the 'crisis':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_qK4g6 ... re=related
Per Flank, Per Tank