Share This Page:

Life in unit

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
freer07

Life in unit

Post by freer07 »

Whats life like after you pass out at the end of 32 weeks and you go to your unit?
druadan

Post by druadan »

Search, search and search again. I've answered this a few times, as have many others. Nothing personal, but I'm not gonna type it all out again :wink:
freer07

Post by freer07 »

OK sorry, search and search I will do.
Artist

Post by Artist »

druadan wrote:Search, search and search again. I've answered this a few times, as have many others. Nothing personal, but I'm not gonna type it all out again :wink:
Oh come on!

The first thing you do when you join a unit is apply for the many varied out of hours hobbies availabe to one and all. I myself took up cross stitching. Because you need to now how to stitch up people before they do it to you.

Another good hobby is galley sports. It's a volunteer only job and will give you hours of fun.

The rest will come to you as you get used to the unit you join.

Artist
druadan

Post by druadan »

If you survive your joining run that is :roll:

Otherwise you'll be on Latrines duty for your two year draft 8)
lukeyluke

Post by lukeyluke »

Just a quick one, I've had a search around on here but haven't had much luck getting any details on what unit joining runs are? (I may just be shite with the search button or I might be being naive or something :D )

Is it some sort of welcoming test/thrashing to see what your made of?
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." - Julius Caesar

Recruit Training: 11th February, 2008
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

It's not a 'run' but a 'run ashore' as in a piss up

Never had one obviously but a few of lads that made it out the box have gave me some, let's say interesting accounts :D
druadan

Post by druadan »

Read the papers :wink:

Seriously, it's a laugh, it's not as bad as it's made out to be by the one or two that got into the press, and it is a ritual that you will go through. If you stand your ground and say you won't do it, you won't be made to, nothing is forced. But you will take a LOT of stick for it 8)
Sully

Post by Sully »

Just did a quick Google for those stories a while back. One tickled me with a warning that the video contained scenes of nakedness and violence:lol:

Top quote is from the BBC site where astounded oxygen thief Colonel Bob Stewart indignantly remarks (presumably over his smoked salmon) "Why are they naked for goodness sake?":lol: :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4475034.stm

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/no ... llying.htm

Both articles are gash with the last one raising the bar of gashness by a few feet.

The 42 'incident' was overblown and was the sort of shindig amongst consenting trained ranks that happens from time to time and are generally fun - some lads take things further than others but there you go. Definitely not a joining run and the only shocking thing about it is the appalling choice of wig by the NCO - he should have gone for a blond bob. :roll:

When I joined the usual 'welcome' was to be ignored for a few weeks/months until you found your feet - lads sometimes weren't allowed to sleep in their grots until they were 'accepted' and some (like Steve Preece says in his book and a few others I know) had it a bit worse.

Compared to that, what I've heard about 'sprog olympics' looks like a fun ice-breaker. I don't think it's anything to worry about and by the time you're a bootneck you'll take it in your stride. We did stuff like that in training (usually when the range was fouled or we were waiting for transport) but it was no biggy. It sounds like a good idea if it speeds up the 'acceptance' process.
Per Flank, Per Tank
druadan

Post by druadan »

I'd forgotten how bad that article actually was.

I think you're right on that one Sully, the naked roll mat fighting wasn't a joining run, just a piss up gone wrong.

Seriously, this sort of thing has been blown out of all proportion in the press, if it does happen at all it's only a very occasional isolated incident. I've never seen or been involved in a joining run that was any more than a bit of fun and a way of integrating new lads, no they're not always completely PC and to the general public some of the antics may be strange, but they're nothing to worry about.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

My mate at 42 had his joining run. He just had to lick some guys arse. Not that bad I guess. :P