Share This Page:

Any one seen the new film 300

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

I thought the film was ok taken as a bit of entertainment ie; brain off, sit and watch.

I think from the historical point of view though they missed the whole point of why the Spartans were so successful at Thermopylae. It wasn't because the Spartans were super men who ran out to meet the Persians in battle and were able to take on 30 men each as the film shows. Their success came from the fact their discipline, training and courage meant they were able to hold their formations despite the constant assaults thus enabling them to hold back the numerically superior Persian Army.

The ironic thing is that if they had of fought like they did in the film they would have been overwhelmed by the Persians and would have never been able to hold out as long as they did.

Incidentally, did you know that the Spartans were famous for their homosexuality? They believed it strengthend the bond between warriors, who said gay's don't make good soldiers!! :lol:
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

I heard something like that too, about their first sexual experience having to be with another man, or so a friend who does classics says. I also remember a teacher saying one army fighting a group of gays from another army had the hardest fight ever because the gay group cared so much for each other. If this is bo**ocks, sorry.
SNiDE

Post by SNiDE »

the battle of Thermopylae in which 300 Spartans and 700 Thespian volunteers held back an army of invading Persians (historical estimations range for 80,000 through to 5,000,000 men). The Spartans eventually lost however they inflicted heavy losses on the Persian army, extremely disproportionate to those of the Greeks.
The greek coalition, under king Leonidas numbered around 7, 000 greeks, 300 of which were spartan and 700 thespians.
I thought the film was pretty good, but for those that are interested in the battle, the book Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield is brilliant.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

SNiDE wrote:The greek coalition, under king Leonidas numbered around 7, 000 greeks, 300 of which were spartan and 700 thespians.
I do hope maths isn't your strong point! :lol: :wink:
Aways look on the bright side of life.
SNiDE

Post by SNiDE »

LOL and other greek countries as well..
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

lol, turns out Gerard Butler who plays the spartan king, was also in the phantom of the opera, hehe. :lol:
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

I thought it was sh!t hot. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."