Share This Page:

Should I Apply For Marine Now Or Later??

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
k2thep

Should I Apply For Marine Now Or Later??

Post by k2thep »

Hey, I want to join the royal marines, but feel i am not fit enough yet. I have a basic level of fitness, i do a couple sets of push ups, and sit ups etc each night, and also go for a run. But don't think i would pass PRMC just now. Do u think i should apply now and get fit within the time gap of applying and PRMC or wait till i feel i have a better level of fitness then start the application process??
AJtothemax

Re: Should I Apply For Marine Now Or Later??

Post by AJtothemax »

k2thep wrote:Hey, I want to join the royal marines, but feel i am not fit enough yet. I have a basic level of fitness, i do a couple sets of push ups, and sit ups etc each night, and also go for a run. But don't think i would pass PRMC just now. Do u think i should apply now and get fit within the time gap of applying and PRMC or wait till i feel i have a better level of fitness then start the application process??
Hey. Its all down to personal belief. No one on here knows what you're capeable of. Max press-ups in 2 mins? Max pull-ups in 2mins? Max sit-ups in 2mins? 1.5 mile run time? 3mile run time? 5-6 mile time etc.

Have a look around mate and use the Search button which is under News and Articles below the banner. You might find out that you're not even close, then again you might already be fitter than alot of guys who are posting saying what they have done, i really dont know.

What i would say to you though is, yes, do keep fit and train your arse off. I think (and im assuming here not knowing your current status) it would be ok for you to apply now, take some useful advice from the AFCO and let them know what you're doing etc. But if not, then apply when you feel comfortable. No one will rush you into anything as its entirely your decision ok.

All the best. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
AndyG321

Post by AndyG321 »

Do not underestimate how hard the PRMC is. Anyone who says it's easy is super fit or lying! :lol:
I thought I was pretty fit but found it bloody hard going and I'm suffering today!!!! ;)

Best thing to do is have a go at some of the tests and see how you get on.
Get a map or drive 1.5 miles of pavement/road that you can run along easily and then run out to that 1.5 mile marker in about 12 mins, then turn around and run back to where you started in 10 mins or under. If you can manage that you're fit enough if not chances are you could fail the first test.

Also you need a minimum of about 30 pressups marine style (elbows tucked to the body and chest all the way to the ground) in 2 mins
And over 40 situps again with the correct technique.
The rest is pretty much determination and don't quit on any of the tests no matter how far behind or ahead you are just keep going at 110% all the time you're there.

If you can't manage the above then you know what you need to work on so get a routine going till you can get right above those minimums.

There's no harm in applying now though as once you've got as far as booking your prmc date all your other tests will be valid for a year which will give you pleanty of time to train.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Application - 15th Dec
Recruit tests- Pass
Eye test - Pass
Interview - Pass
Medical - Pass
PJFT - Pass
PRMC - Pass!!!
RT - 23rd July

PB's
------------------
1.5 miler - 9:17
London Marathon - 5:19:24
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Get a map or drive 1.5 miles of pavement/road that you can run along easily and then run out to that 1.5 mile marker in about 12 mins, then turn around and run back to where you started in 10 mins or under. If you can manage that you're fit enough if not chances are you could fail the first test.
Use Mapmyrun.co.uk, and don't forget the warm-up, and I mean a WARM-UP. Run round in a large circule randomly changing direction, side stepping for about 15 minutes and spriting on the spot for about 20 seconds (the guy counts down from 10 there but every second lasted about 2 seconds. Do this a few times, then go for the run straight after, and make sure it's 12 there and 10 or less back. How old are you k2thep?
Last edited by Stinky on Sat 02 Jun, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

If I had a penny for every time I got asked this, her name is alizee, a french singer, from france :wink:.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

a french singer, from france
As apposed to where? :lol:
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

Maybe he was stating the obvious for the 'mentally challenged' members of this site. :wink:
Last edited by gjd1986 on Sun 03 Jun, 2007 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You all look like a bag of sh*t!"
gjd1986

Re: Should I Apply For Marine Now Or Later??

Post by gjd1986 »

k2thep wrote:Hey, I want to join the royal marines, but feel i am not fit enough yet. I have a basic level of fitness, i do a couple sets of push ups, and sit ups etc each night, and also go for a run. But don't think i would pass PRMC just now. Do u think i should apply now and get fit within the time gap of applying and PRMC or wait till i feel i have a better level of fitness then start the application process??
You would get fit enough while the whole application process was going through, no doubt about it.

Go for it. Apply.
"You all look like a bag of sh*t!"
k2thep

Post by k2thep »

Hey thanks for all the advice every one, very much appreciated. And Stinky i am 19.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

gjd1986 wrote:Maybe he was stating the obvious for the 'mentally challenged' members of this site. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
james_m

Post by james_m »

Illustrious wrote:
a french singer, from france
As apposed to where? :lol:
1) Guadeloupe?
2) Martinique?
3) French Guiana?
4) Reunion?