Share This Page:

POC 21st may

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Jiml mix it

POC 21st may

Post by Jiml mix it »

Hi all, im James. I've been floating about the site for a while now.
I have my POC on monday. Just thought i would see if anyone has any last minute tips (more POC orientated). I shall report back next week some time with how i got on.
Cheers
Jiml
Brows

Post by Brows »

James

How did you get on with your POC? Hopefully everything went hunky doory but then you can never plan for the unforeseeable.
Did you meet my friend Jason while you were there anyway?

Kind regards

Brows
RM Commission progress

POC: 04/06/07 -Passed
AIB: 02/07/07 -Fail, needed more life experience

Intend to re-apply after I have gone to university

Read my diaries in the RM archives section THEN PM me if you have a question
Jiml mix it

Post by Jiml mix it »

Hi
Got back last night, i did failed but to be honest im much more happy with failing than I would have been if i'd of passed because i relised that the officer side of things wasn't for me. I failed on the academic side but passed all the physical stuff. Black tuesday was the hardest thing i've ever done in my life. I have decided to apply for a PRMC, they said that I should probably be able to get on one within the next 6 weeks so im happy with that. It was a great experience and i dout i'll ever forget it, especially the second day. Brows i didn't get much chance to talk with your mate because if im thinking of the right guy he arrived late sunday night and was send home after the RMFA.
Some scores that i got that you might be interested in,
RMFA
press ups-60 they recomend 50+
sit ups-85 they recommend 70+
chin ups-6 then i slipped off they recommend 10+
bleep test-12.8 one lad got 14.9 they recommend 13+
my RMFA score was 300
You have to get 180+ to pass, if you are hovering around there and 220 then they say that you are going to stuggle on black tuesday

bottom field
assault course- i think it was around 3:20
200m firemans carry-79secs your allowed 90seconds
100m firemans carry-34secs your allowed 45seconds

endurance course, i came back within the time allowed just about.

Anyway like i said i think it's PRMC for me.
tomharto30

Post by tomharto30 »

I think you guys were on bottom field as we were doing the tarzan, ran past a couple of you!! :wink:
We are what we do
Brows

Post by Brows »

James

I think you've got the right guy, I spoke to Jason last night online and he said he voluntarily withdrew after the RMFA. He just said it wasn't for him which surprised me since it has been his dream for quite a long time now. At least he gave it a shot though.

Now I’ve got my one on the 4th so if you don't mind I am going to quiz and pump you for information.

What made you think the officer side of things wasn't your bag?
What did you fail on the academic stuff?
Any things you definitely should(n't) do?
How many were on your POC and how many passed?
Best advice you can give me?

Now I’ve heard that not only a good friend has not made it but also your good self so I am now thoroughly bricking it!

Well done for trying anyway and I look forward to your reply.

Brows
RM Commission progress

Jiml mix it

Post by Jiml mix it »

What made you think the officer side of things wasn't your bag?
I just thought that the pressure would have been to much for me at my age, they did give me chance to go back and try agen within a year but i felt there wasn't much i could improve on. i feel that i would much rather just be one of the lads.

What did you fail on the academic stuff?
well they said that my essay was weak and i didn't contibute much to the discussion, i was a little spaced out after the endurance run.

Any things you definitely should(n't) do?
Dont yawn during briefs, try to stay in step with the marching, i struggled with that. take plenty of chocolate bananas etc, listen to all instructions and most of all don't give up.

How many were on your POC and how many passed?
There was supposed to be 21 on our POC, 16 turned up, 6 dropped out after RMFA. 5 passed and 5 failed.

Best advice you can give me?
Keep going right to the end.

good luck
sd88

Post by sd88 »

One of the guys on my AIB said somethin similar, and the captain that told him maxed out all the RMFA scores on his POC apparently. Realistically though, that is difficult to achieve.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Unlucky mate, but congrats for passing the physical side to it.

I'm confused though. I thought if you passed the POC (or at least the physical side) then you were automatically guaranteed entry into recruit training and did not have to attend a PRMC. Has this changed?
Jiml mix it

Post by Jiml mix it »

well what they said was that if i had passed the whole of POC and gone on to the AIB and failed then i could have gone straight in to RT, but because i didn't i have to go on a PRMC, im confident of passing though because i completed the phys in POC. I rung the AFCO today and they are sending me another applicaion form.
Brows

Post by Brows »

Greenwell

I think the only reason why i'm bricking it is because not only has poor James not managed to get through the net but i also had a friend on the same POC who didn't make it. He has wanted to be a soldier since double figures and really wanted it. He VW after the RMFA.
Anyway i'm sure its just nerves, hopefully they won't effect my performance when it comes down to it.

It's just i really am a bit off-balanced that my friend VW, he really wanted it.

Anyway i'm not him so i need to just crack on and pass this thing with a smile on my face.

Thanks for answering my questions James.

Brows
RM Commission progress