Share This Page:

decision

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
tom163

decision

Post by tom163 »

after reading about the eventually qualifying to join the 22 sas i was wundering will it be best for me to do 1 year selection for the 23 TA and serve the 3 years or just join the regulars for 3 years.
Tartan_Terrier

Re: decision

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Tom163 wrote:after reading about the eventually qualifying to join the 22 sas i was wundering will it be best for me to do 1 year selection for the 23 TA and serve the 3 years or just join the regulars for 3 years.
Hi again Tom,
You're obviously determined to join one of the more 'special' units of the British Army.

Have you consided joining these guys?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Queens_Ganja_Rifles
tom163

Post by tom163 »

hahaha that is very funny speciallt that person with the dreadlocks. Top Notch :lol:
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Ah.. even though I already answered you post im going to repeat myself. If you are set on an army carreer and 22 then the regs is the best place for you. You mgiht not like it though. Why not try 4 para whilst at college. you have to be 18 for 23 selection anyway and already a trained soldier so you will doing 4 para one way or another.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

ok thanks quality advice :D just another question do you have to serve the same amount of time in the regular army and 23 sas before being accepted to try for 22 selection (think 3 years with 4 left to serve), because i have also been told you only have to serve 2 n a bit if you go in to 23 sas first.??
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Tom163 wrote:hahaha that is very funny speciallt that person with the dreadlocks. Top Notch :lol:
That person with the dreads IS Tartan_Terrier :P
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

It really depends on previous experience/what your skills are like/what you do with the time you are in. However...being allowed to go on selection is not the same as passing it. IMHO the regular parachute regt would be much better preparation for reg selection. Do your time, do a tour and then selection. There are many problems that lie in moving from SAS(R) to the regulars.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

what sort of problems? :-?
dylanredefined

Post by dylanredefined »

Well having to complete the rest of sas selection for starters the reserves dont do the jungle phase I beleive .Let alone the admin vortex you drop yoursef into trying to go regular .
As everyone has said if you want a regular career go regular.Unless you have some high power civilian job whats stopping you ?
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Well apart from having to complete selection again, you have to redo the hills, there is the problem of getting fit enough whilst trying to maintain a civvy life, the extreme difficulties in passing the jungle with no prior experience of the jungle and extremely limited experience of the military in general. Plus - you are going to be there with para lads who have been putting rounds down in afghan, what will you have done?
tom163

Post by tom163 »

yes i know what your saying i might just serve 3 years in regular para regiment then do selection.thanks for all your help king duck a massive help :D