Share This Page:

Putting on weight

All advertising to be contained in this Forum only, we do not tolerate spamming through out the Forum.
fodd

Post by fodd »

Mephis listen to what is said you dont need to be big to be a bootneck the average bootneck has the build say of a middle distance runner you should use your size to your benefit insted of looking at it negative the first part of RM training is mainly gym work and running by the time you get to the stage of yomping your legs will be strong and so will your mind.

at least you dont have to lug 15 stone around
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I've been trying tp put on weight recently myself, but at the same time I've tried my best not to add extra fat. Your weight is largely determined by your genetic makeup, so if you're naturally thing then adding weight isn't necessary. When I first started fitness training proper, I gained a lot of strength although my weigth dropped from just on 12stone to about 11 and three-quarters. Now i'm just over twelve stone.

Its harder to put weight on when your doing cardio work because of the burned calories associated with it, so at the moment my cardio-training is limited to football three times a week, and the occassional walk to and from the bar when getting a round in.

So i've just been concentating on weights over the past month or so - as many sets as I can do, 8-12 reps over a 45minute period maximum. My diet isn't planned out, although I try to eat healthily. Basically I just eat as many chicken cesar salads as possible (because I like 'em), lots of pasta, potatoes, fish, minced beef, and the occassional steak. That and a 1500 calorie cheesecake every other day - not the healthiest option, but thier too damm nice! And a few pints of lager every now and then.

Probably not the best way to go about it, but I read somewhere about the actor Christian Bale who regained his weight following the filming of the Machinist (in which he plays a severly underweight insomniac), by necking pints of Guinness. I'm wouldn't recommend it though, just a thought (plus guinness is for gays - drink Lager, the mans choice).

[For some damm reason every time I type something out on here I type while thinking in the vioce of Stewie Griffin]
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

By the way, i'm not saying you should put weight on.

But me you see, i'm trying to get a figure to compliment my new baywatch-style swimming trunks in time for the summer. Different priorities you see, different priorities....
Illustrious

mmm

Post by Illustrious »

dangermouse, regarding necking lager etc, its because its something about the calories cannot be used for energy so they turn straight into fat. Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I dont think the energy taken from alcohol is beneficial, but i'm sure the calorific intake is similar to that of other food, but don't take my word for it. It might be converted to fat, especially since not many people drink and then do exercises anytime soon.

Whey protein is useful, but it's not going to do anything for you per se. When you go the gym you are breaking muscle down, and eating protein - which you easily get from a well balance diet of fish, chicken, other meats, diary product, pasta - helps to rebuild that muscle bigger during rest. Whey protein, in my honest opinion since I've used it befor myself, is better used on rest days when eating regulary (at least every three hours) is not an option, buts its not going to work wonders for you.

Shops also do a carb + whey mix for muscle development, and a carb+whey+creatine mix for weight gain. But I reckon its best to concentrate on food. I've seen so many kids neglecting thier gym work because they think supplements are an easy way out. They are expense, and best used in moderation - on rest days, or when you hit a training palteaux.

And im sure the Marines at Lymstpne were fit because of years of daily hard work, discipline and dedication. You don't find many people in your local gym as committed as professional soldiers when it comes to fitness.
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

Edited because that was a little harsh.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

If you are thin, whey protein will not mould you into rambo, you will become skinny rambo :o . Dangermouse, quality protein shakes contain many complex proteins that you will only find small amounts of in food. Protein shakes are only their to assist, they give you the little extra, that's why they are known as supplements.

Increasing your protein intake can lead to larger gains, and quicker recoveries. :)

3 chicken breasts totals just below 100g protein, I'll admit you can get by on this, but if the options there why not take on more.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

yep, but still there is a limit. Your body can't use extra protein consumed beyond te maximum for your weight. Excess protein is just going to get pissed and shitted out, while eating too much protein can actually lead to digestive problems.

It is a supplement. But a man tkaing a supplement is not going to get much - if any - added benefit than a man with a similar fitness program who doesnt take supplement. They dont perform miracles.

I sometimes find it beneficial to use creatine and glutamine, particulary if I incorporate a ot of sprint work into a my regime.

And yep, Rocky ws dedicated with his fitness, as are a lot of other sportsmen and women. But, your average Mr-I-Go-The-Gym-Everyday might be fit, but in many cases its doubtfull that they have good all round fitness. The fittest people I know are rugby players, boxers and cyclists.
fodd

Post by fodd »

kanedaRMC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:32 pm Post subject:
The marines i saw down Lympstone who where still training where machines! lol wasnt massive but well toned,Also if you get backtrooped into ReHaB you are on a protein supplement so when you get back into your troop your not behind.
Whey protein is the best mate a few weeks of that and you from being a skinny lad to johnny rambo!
mate i was hunter coy for 36 weeks mate get your facts right we were offered maxi muscle by one of our training teams but this didnt last two long beceause are RI'S weren't happy the food at ctc is enough and the phys you do in 2 troop alpaha or bravo will make you into a ninja
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Dangermouse makes a good point. Bodybuilding requires larger amounts of protein, but then Royal Marines aren't bodybuilders are they, therefore high intake can become unnecessary.

Doesn't stop me though because I love weights. :wink:
ofens

Re: Putting on weight

Post by ofens »

Yeah 'cause that's not even slightly spam, is it?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sorry,
that one slipped under the radar.
Moved.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Hey Wholley, the sarc was aimed at the poster, not for the post being in the wrong place - sorry if it was taken that way!
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

No drama's,one of us should have picked it up.

Keep low and stay safe 8)