Share This Page:

PRMC - What to expect (probably)

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dangermouse

PRMC - What to expect (probably)

Post by Dangermouse »

I did my first PRMC in about May 2005, and failed miserably. Anyway, I used to use these forums quite a bit before I attempted one. the info was valuable, and I am going to apply again over easter and hopefully get myself onto a PRMC during Summer. I wrote this the day I got back from Lympstone, with the knowledge that it was going to take me at least 6months to get fit. Here I am two years later and as about as fit as I can get. This might be outdated, but I hope it helps.

3 Mile Run

This is done in combat trousers and either a rugby shirt or t-shirt depending on the weather. Preceding the run is a 10 minute warm up involving sprints, press ups, stretches and stress positions. The run itself is done straight after, as a group with the PTI setting the pace (6-7 minute miles). Water bottles are left behind and there is no rest during the entire run. Basically you run for 1.5miles, then turn around and run back at a fast but steady pace. If you drop behind you can catch up but considering you will be tired, this is extremely hard to do so it is ideal to stay in your position all the way through. The weather will have a huge impact on performance - too hot and you will feel exhausted, while the cold and or wet will slow you down. Drink plenty of water beforehand and a sufficient breakfast. During the run you just be sick if you need to. Don’t stop, because that will be an instant fail. Towards the end of the run you will be exhausted and lactic acid will be building up in your muscles. Train by running 4 miles, so that you have something left in reserve towards the end. The run is fast, therefore interval training is advised, as is sprint work and hill work. Although the terrain is flat and on road, your legs will be tired and you will need to dig deep and carry yourself, otherwise you will fail.

The run must be completed in 22minutes 30secs. However the pace will be quicker so it is best to train at 6minute miles and aim to complete the run in 18minutes.

Gym Test 1

This is done in PT kit - shorts, t-shirt and training shoes. The bleep test is first, which is either done in the gym or on the parade ground (concrete). There is no warm up period beforehand, although the PTIs are strict and you may be beasted, so you will already have a high heart rate. The test starts from the first level and a PTI sets the pace, but then retires at about level 6. By level 8 your legs will be tired and you will be breathing heavily. The work rate increases rapidly from then on. Marking starts at level 9, however it is best to get to level 11 at least. The tape stops at level 13, but the PTIs will throw in some sprinting at the end, before you move onto the gym.

The PTIs are very strict so do not fidget or look around in the gym. You will start by sprinting around the gym, touching each corner in turn. You have to stand to attention unless they tell you otherwise. The PTIs will then tell you to lay the mats out as quickly as possible - DO NOT WALK OR JOG. You have to sprint or you will do tuck jumps. The first test are press ups. These are done in two minutes, at your own time. Hands have to be shoulder length apart, with elbows tucked into the body. You go down until your chest touches your oppo’s fist, and then up until your arms lock. Any poor quality press ups will be knocked off (do one poor press up and it is likely that you will have 5 knocked off). You can rest in the press up position as long as your body does not touch the ground. Your back must be kept straight and you must look forward. Sit Ups are next - you must lie down with your hand on your temple, your knees locked and your elbows touching the floor. In two minutes at your own time, you have to touch the top of your knee with you elbows before touching the floor with them, while keeping your knees locked. Pull Ups are the final test. This is probably the easiest of the three tests and is done in groups of three. The PTI says up, and you pull your chin over the bar and wait until the last man reaches the top. The PTI will then say down and you have to lower your body weight until your elbows lock. That is one press up. You then have to sprint a little before stretching and warming down.

Bleep Test - min Level 9, max level 13. Average is Lv 11 but you should aim to max out.
Press Ups - 60 in two minutes (aim for 80)
Sit Ups - 80 in two minutes (aim for 100)
Pull Ups - 6 (aim for 10)

During the entire gym test you will be covered in sweat, will be very hot and have little opportunity to have a drink even though the gym is very dry. It is unlikely you will max out on the tests, even if you can do so in your own time. Train for the bleep test by using fartlek and interval running and hill sprints, done continuously. The three exercises are completed one after the other with little rest and no opportunity for water. The only way to train for gym test 1 is to practice the exercises constantly and then do some more. Quality is very important.

Bottom Field and Assault Course

This is done in combat jacket, boots, trousers, thick socks and rugby shirt. You will get very hot, sweaty and exhausted quickly. Preceding the ‘warm up’ is a ten minute run while the PTI shows the Tarzan course. Although this is not part of ‘bottom field’ the run is tiring because you wont be used to running in boots and combat kit, especially if it is hot. When you eventually get to bottom field, you will be told to run around the top of the field and back (about 200m). As soon as you get back you will do some stretches and warm up exercises although a lot quicker than normal. As soon as these are finished you will be told to don some exercises as quick as you can, back to back without any rest (eg: 10 press ups facing downhill, 10 squats facing uphill and 10 sit ups facing up hill). As soon as these are finished you will be told to sprint up to and around a wall and back again. The wall is about 50m away but is up hill. As soon as you get back you will have to do more exercises before sprinting to the hill again and back. The PTI may also make you sprint to another wall about 100m away and then back. Again more exercises will follow. This lasts for about 10-15 minutes before you will have to do some sprints, crawls, piggy-back carrying and fireman carrying. All the exercises are done back to back with no rest. Any time spent still will have to be spent marking time (knees right up). If you are slow or are not putting any effort in, the PTIs will pick you out and make you do more exercises, or may make bottom field go on for longer altogether. Bottom field will last for about 15-30 minutes with no rest whatsoever.

When running to the walls, the PTI will tell the group to run at 50%, 75% or 100%. However, effort is vital and you will have to run at the same pace as the fastest man. There is no such thing as going too fast. The PTIs do not run with you so they will be able to see if you are not putting any effort in and will then make you or the group do extra work. If you are working slow, you will have little chance to catch up with the rest of the group and will therefore be lagging behind. This is not good as the corporals and sergeant major will note down that you are not putting in any effort. The PTIs will be shouting commands at you a thousand times a minute so you must stay alert. Bottom field is an individual effort.
You are not competing with the other candidates, but you will have to keep up with the man at the front.

You will have to put in 100% effort for the entire duration, while staying alert and focused. You will feel exhausted and physically sick. You will have little chance of catching your breath and will be under the watchful eye of the PTIs all the time. You will be covered in dirt, spit and sweat. You will not have time to look around or rest. Your heart will feel like it is about to explode, your legs will feel heavier than ever and your mouth will be dry. What is important though is that you carry on and stay focused. Strength of mind is more important than body on bottom field, although physical preparation is important. It is ideal to train early in the morning with none stop circuit training for 25 - 30 minutes, regardless of weather. Sprint work, interval training and fartlek is important, as is keeping yourself motivated. Basically, you need to push yourself until you cant go on, and then push yourself further. You will not know when bottom field will end so you will have to just carry on regardless. They are not looking for fitness alone but mental strength.

If you fail bottom field you will not be able to take part in the assault course. The assault course is done at your own time, in groups of about three although you can overtake if you wish. It is about 400m long and consists of about 10-15 obstacles, each requiring coordination, upper body strength and commitment. After bottom field you will be shown around the assault course but will not have much time to recover, so you will be physically exhausted when you begin it. You have to sprint around the course, over or under the obstacles and finish in less than 5minutes. If you hesitate or do something wrong, the PTIs will pull you out and make you do it again or tell you how it should be done.

During these two tests the PTIs are looking for effort, motivation, a sense of humour, the ability to push yourself beyond your limits and alertness.

Gym Test 2

This is done in PT kit. At first you will sprint into the gym and line up in three ranks - no moving at all. There will be 5 stances lined out in front of you, and the PTIs will demonstrate how to do four of them. It is vital that you understand how to do so and ask any questions if you are unsure. You will the have to sprint outside for a ten minute warm up involving running and stretching. Then you will sprint inside and be separated into 5 groups and told to go to one of the apparatus. You can not stand still and must mark time otherwise you will be beasted. Each group is given a corporal who watches every move and notes down any mistake. You must work at 100%. 2 of the stances are done as an individual, 2 as a pair and one as a team. You will get exhausted physically and mentally, but you must remain alert and coordinated throughout. Each stance lasts for more than 3 minutes and the whole gym test lasts for about 30minutes with little or no rest.

Stance 1: Individual - Run across a zigzag line of benches, jump up onto the beam, perform 5 knees to chest, 2 forward roles and 5 squats. Mark time and repeat.

Stance 2: Pair - Number one lays on the ground in the sit up position with arms full extended backwards, picks a medicine ball up and throws it over a bench as far as he can. He then leaps up, sprints over to the far wall, touches it, turns around, picks up the medicine ball and sprints back. He then place the ball in number two’s hand, who then repeats.

Stance 3: Pair - The pair pull a sled towards them using rope in a tug of war fashion (while sitting down). The front man places a medicine ball into the sled while number 2 sprints to the other end, becoming number one. Number one becomes number two and the pair pull the sled towards the other end. Number one then removes the ball while number 2 sprints back over a bench. Number 1 then sprints back over the bench and repeats the process.

Stance 4: Individual - Run up to a gym horse and push up so that your feet is on it. Run across it and jump down onto the mat. Run across the mat and vault over the horse with your hands to the right, and the second with your hands to the left. Jump up onto the beam and move hand-over-hand to the wall. Touch the wall and sprint back. Repeat

Stance 5: Team - Three gym mats are laid out end to end with a large box on one end. You have to move each gym mat over the box in turn and lay them out on the other side end to end. If you step off the mat the whole team gets 30 press ups. Repeat. There is little room so the team must keep hold of each other to prevent them from falling off.

After the stances have been completed the equipment is put away and then some sprinting takes place. i.e.: from one end of the gym and back, repeat again, then again x2, run to the centre and back, x2, x3, sprint to the end and back x 2, x3, x1, etc. You do not know how long this will last for so effort is max necessary. The corporals will note down who is sprinting and who isn’t.

During Gym Test 2 the PTIs are looking for effort, coordination, alertness, motivation and teamwork.

All the exercises are physically exhausting and mentally challenging. It is important not to stop. Physical preparation is important, but everyone will be in pain so it is paramount that you stay motivated throughout the course. You will need to give 100% effort all the time, no matter what. Determination and strength of mind is the difference between success and failure.

During free time keep your bed space, room, corridor and bathroom clean. Also keep your locker organised and your bed made properly. The course instructors may also buy some milk, coffee and soft drinks for the group to have. Make sure you use them - they’ve got them for you so make sure you don’t neglect their offerings. When knocking on the corporals office or addressing the instructors, first say ‘Corporal, I am PRMC [Jones], permission to speak.’ During lectures just raise you hand and answer when told. Do not fall asleep during lectures or talk because you will just get press ups (prepare a good joke too in case they ask!). During your free time make the most of it - get to know the other members of the course, tidy, eat or sleep. Maybe a good idea to take a book because you wont always be busy, or Royal Marines material to help you prepare for the interview - which is fairly straightforward (they may have someone sitting in though, like a psychologist or doctor - nothing personal though I think!). The corporals may also allow you to go to the spar or for 9 o’clockers, but ask first. The spars good for magazines, snacks and drinks. There are also public telephones and shops/coffees but you might not be allowed to use the latter. When walking around the camp, its ok to walk normally (i.e.: without marching) unless otherwise told. Remember that you are in the middle of a military training establishment, so don’t act like you are in a holiday camp. May also be a good idea to take toilet role incase they run out. Try to get a bottom-bunk if you can - if you need to go for a piss late at night you will not disturb the person laying above you then (its also convenient when you have severe leg cramps or stiffness). Interact with those in your room - a group of lads living together for 3 days is not entirely a pleasant experience for everyone, and some may single out an individual or two for piss taking, Nothing hostile, but it may have affects on your morale. You may hand in personal belongings but this isn’t entirely necessary. But its best to keep hold of your watch, phone and some money.

If you want - for whatever reason - you can withdraw from the course at any time and leave that day or you may stay on without taking part. If you fail, you can stay on and take part if you want, or leave the base. If you get injured, just ask and they will provide medical help. The corporals are sound (probably only during the PRMC though) so don’t expect any harsh discipline. Though if you do something wrong you can expect to be beasted severely. During tests they may seem harsh, but they are only motivating you so bite you lip, don’t answer back and do what your told. The PTIs are especially strict and will raise their voice and square up to you, but don’t take is personally. They may also call you names, but its only light hearted. It also helps to keep a straight face when being beasted or talked to. Don’t laugh when your not supposed to, and don’t look miserable no matter how down you may feel because they will pick you out from the group. Its best to perform well and only get noticed for that. Otherwise, be the grey man. If you want, ask questions. If they tell you to do something, do it. Don’t hesitate - ask - and don’t get sidetracked (e.g.: drinking water) unless they allow you to. In other words, if they tell you to do something, do it.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I didn't add anything about the swimming test because, well, I forgot. Anyway, you just climb to the top of the diving board and jump as soon as the PTi tells you to (don't f@#k hesitate just do it, and don't try and get yourself to the back of the f@#k queue because your affraid of hights - first in = more time to get showered, dried and dressed). When you're in the water, its just a matter of swimming breast-stroke (or if you can't do that, then by any possible means) a length of the pool. You can't fail the swimming test and the PTi's will likely find a fault in everyone's swimming style, but it helps to practice if or not you can swim.

and - for f@#k sake - do not do anything so etreme as to itch your nose (at least when the PTis watching). Because they are strict c@#t and you will get pressups for doing so.

We also had a free 'swimming' session for an hour because we didn't get to meet the diamonds. (swimming here is not really swimming, just a matter of hobbling about for 30 mins then diving off the high- and low-boards for another 30mins and laughing at people who enter the water on thier face).

If there have been any major or minor changes over the last two years, please point them out. Cheers.
ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

Good detailed diary there. So why did you fail if you dont mind me asking? Was is your scores or something?
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Embarrisingly, I actually pulled out during the three mile run. I wouldn't blame my fitness for that, but the fact that is was over 90 degrees faranheit on the day and I wasn't used to running in the heat. OK, most of the other lads there had no problems running in the heat, but myself and a couple of other fit looking lads let the heat get the better of us. At the time I thought I was severly dehydrated, but was gutted as soon as I knew i'd failed. I was even more gutted when the PTi walking behind me told me not to get onto the bus and instead walk the last 100meters or so. I was just completely out of it and didn't even realise how close I was to the end. (if I do a PRMC this summer, I'm going to fly to Thailand for a few weeks and do some training on a deserted beach - seriously!)

Done alright during the two gym tests - can't remember my scores for the first (above the minimum anyway), and absolutely loved the second gym test although it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I was slow on the Assault course, but put that down to the simple fact that one of my contact lenses came loose and embedded itself underneath my eye-lid half way through.

at the end I was dissapointed that I wasn't given the chance to attend the pre-PRMC fitness course they were running at the time, but instead was given a three month date of return. I wasn't the fittest of the lads, and saw that I had some serious faults in my physical fitness compared to others on the course. I got talking to one of the corporals as well, and from speaking to him I went away and concluded that before I try again, I was going to go away for a bit and do a lot of fitness work. Basically, over the past 3 years i've been trying to turn myself from a skinny man with the physique of a footballer to a reasonably fit man witht he physique of a rugby player. Has it worked? Has it f@#k. But at least i'm fitter for it and will be confident during my next attempts.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

cheers, good to finally find out what happens in gym test 2 (missed it).
I think the assault course is done before the thrashing now and the run isnt done as a group on the way back now.
Good luck with your next prmc.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
Rittefski

Post by Rittefski »

Thanks for the excellent info Danger Mouse, it told me what I wanted to know.
The 6 Ps: Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

PRMC: 24th April - PASSED
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

cruicent wrote:cheers, good to finally find out what happens in gym test 2 (missed it).
I think the assault course is done before the thrashing now and the run isnt done as a group on the way back now.
Good luck with your next prmc.
Cheers mate

I should point out that Gym test 2 may not be the same for every PRMC.
DLT

Post by DLT »

Always nice to read a PRMC diary. Thanks for posting.
Applied: Aug 06
Broke arm: 03/09/2006
Psychometric: 06/10/2006(Passed)

Waiting on arm.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Yeh very good mate.
Only thing I would add is the duration in total for the bottom field is about 4hrs non stop in total and the timed run is a complete and utter hang out lol.
hobbsy

Post by hobbsy »

Only thing I would add is the duration in total for the bottom field is about 4hrs non stop in total and the timed run is a complete and utter hang out lol.
4 hours? :-?
- First Interview/Chat - 'Good potential candidate' - March
-Psychometric Tests - Passed - March
-Interview - Passed - 20/03/07
-Eye Test - Passed (Grade 1 Vision) - 03/04/07
-Medical - Passed - 3/04/07
-PJFT - In a while
-PRMC - In a while
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Yep. :D

Perhaps I should have made it clearer and said bottom field as a whole, as in the whole thing including death slide, high obs, cheeky warmup, technique run through and then timed run. You do get the odd "slow" period but your under pressure and observation for at least 4 hours I would say.

It's designed to completley and utterley exhaust you and it does that rather well.
chak

Post by chak »

GGHT wrote:Yeh very good mate.
holy moly :o
:lol: cant wait
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Mine wasnt as long as 4 hours, although it felt like it. And we didnt do the deathslide either.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

It was over a year ago now put let me put it another way as it still remains to me....

The 3 miler I found relativley easy.
Gym test 1 was intense but nothing I hadn't prepped for.
Gym test two was actually quite enjoyable.

However, the whole bottom field experience was THE most gruelling, draining, taxing thing I have ever done to this day.

It is a lot mental true but your lungs will burn, your legs and arms feel like lead. I dunno perhaps im putting too much emphasis on it.

Danger if you did your PRMC back then am I right in thinking yo did the 3 miler the morning after BF? In which case that would cetainly have been a lot harder IMO.
Felias

Post by Felias »

Expect Bottomfield to be your worst enemy, that is if your not loafing and at the front!!
THinking about leaving already!