Share This Page:

Intresting article

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Oz

Intresting article

Post by Oz »

The Independent - 18/08/06

http://comment.independent.co.uk/commen ... 220166.ece

Intresting article i read in todays paper although online its not the full version. Wasnt sure what you lads make of it? pity he had to make the mistake of mixing up Chris Ryan for Andy McNab...

whats your thoughts on this one lads?

Oz
PJFT- 15/5/2006-9:00min
PRMC-18/7/2006-PASS
RT- 2/10/2006
mfat_man

Re: Intresting article

Post by mfat_man »

Oz wrote:The Independent - 18/08/06

http://comment.independent.co.uk/commen ... 220166.ece

Intresting article i read in todays paper although online its not the full version. Wasnt sure what you lads make of it? pity he had to make the mistake of mixing up Chris Ryan for Andy McNab...

whats your thoughts on this one lads?

Oz
Ox

Typical left-wing UK guilt IMHO :o

"So in love am I with our armed forces that my secret desire is that I'd really like to be able to pretend that I'd once been in the British Army. If I ever attempted such a thing I wouldn't over-reach myself and pretend that I'd been in the SAS or anything like that, but would choose a modest regiment to pretend to be in - Second Battalion in the Royal Horse Artillery say, or The Queens Own Lancashire Fusiliers"

When I used to run MFAT on my own I used to talk to loads of these Army wannabees, "shall I do I shall I not" was their cry. Well if they didn;t I am damned sure they are getting to 40 and thinking they wish they had!

Alexi Sayle though has to be a wind-up :oops:
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

I find it most amusing that his main article of study in preparing to be a Walt was 'Bravo 2 Zero'. No wonder he decided against it in the end.

I also could not find a purpose to this article. When I finshed reading it I was looking for the 'next page' button to find the rest of it.

The only thing I could find it pointing out was that US troops are uber-patriotic (and feel the need to prove it at every given moment) and that British troops would rather take this piss out of each other!?!?!
Aways look on the bright side of life.
digitalfreefall

Post by digitalfreefall »

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious. Oscar Wilde
Oz

Post by Oz »

Yeah guys those posts pretty much sum it up for me. Its a pity the rest of the article isnt online as it goes on for a bit with some more rubbish.

Personally for me iam not joining the armed forces to pretend to anyone or show off....although that might change in time 8) 8)

Oz
PRMC-18/7/2006-PASS
RT- 2/10/2006
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

I quite enjoyed the article.

Much like Oz i'm not joining to impress anyone. Infact my friends and family find the idea abhorrent. I've explained my motives to a few and lent some books to others but my career path is one of those things you'll understand completely or be comepletely baffled by.

Mr. Sayle is a very funny man and i've always liked his work. It's nice to see a (vaguely) positive article about the forces.

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Oz

Post by Oz »

Sonne,

My family is so left wing they have both have 2 left hands :o . They both work in a university and mix with the anti war crowds back home. And iam sure like some of the lads when they told there parents of there ideas to join the armed forces there parents were nearly physically sick and at first thought it was all a sick joke...but alas no it wasnt and here iam 6000miles and 6 months later with 5 weeks to go before Royal marine training and feeling good about decisions that I made and not my parents.I still love em to bits but when i get the anti-war lecture off some of there friends it drives me mad. They dont understand iam not joining to go and slaughter people and drink beer.....well the bit beer maybe :roll:

Oz
PRMC-18/7/2006-PASS
RT- 2/10/2006