Share This Page:

A few questions

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
mitch_boxing

A few questions

Post by mitch_boxing »

1. Just wondering what are the chances of getting a commission in the royal marines to become an officer.

2. Im sure this has been asked a lot but which training course is overall the hardest out of paras and marines? any paras out there? Im sure they're just as hard as eachother and I respect any marine or para for that matter.

Thanks
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Alright mate do you mean join the marines as an officer or get an in service commision.

Best to speak to some of the lads on here that are going for officer like letsrole. Think they take on about 60 YOs per year or might be even less, cant think off the top of my head. :lol:

The marines and paras are trained for completely different jobs and the marines have the longest training in Nato but both are elite.

Dom
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Alright there, I'm not an officer yet just trying! I posted this aa few days ago about how hard it is to get a commision, but if your determined then anything is possible:

"From what I have read and asked, around 500 candidates arrive at a POC down at Lympstone. It has a pass rate of around 30% (which would give us around 166 candidates passing and attending an AIB). I don't know how many pass the AIB (I would guess it has about a 60% pass rate). From this between 28-60 officers make it to YO training in a batch every year (roughly 12% of the original 500 candidates). And from every batch the pass out rate is 75%, roughly 37 YO's make it through training!"- So I guess you could say a tad hard.

And you can't comment on which is harder out of royal or paras unless you have done both P-company and the commando course.
dalo

Post by dalo »

I had the opportunity to go for officer, but since i have just over the minimum qualifications needed i felt the competition would be too fierce. So my plan is to maybe go for officer after a few years in the Marines, that is if i pass recruit training. Ive heard that a few people take this path or go for Corp commision.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

What you don't like a bit of competition Dalo? lol only joking mate. A corps commision is just as hard as how I'm doing it at the moment. The way I see it is, I have nothing to loose and there's no harm in trying so I thought I may as well aim high. I only have things to gain from trying, for example; shin splints, dizzyness from running to fast, pulled muslces, cramp... :lol:
dalo

Post by dalo »

:D must be a hard long slog for you then.
mitch_boxing

re

Post by mitch_boxing »

Thanks people...

Yes I was thinking about trying to get a commission from the ranks. I will do this after I have passed recruit training and done a few years serving in general duties.

Mitch
dalo

Post by dalo »

Exact same plan as me mate, copycat. :D
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

"The Royal Marines commissions up to 12 ranks a year under the Staff Officer Late Entry scheme providing the opportunity to undertake various roles and potentially reach the rank of Lieutenant Colonel."

This was from CP7 Sep 2001 pamphlet though so may have changed.
dalo

Post by dalo »

Ive heard of people going back to Lympstone to do Officer training after a few years of already being a Royal marine. But it just depends if you can be bothered doing training all again (This is the trigger)