Share This Page:

Officer Application

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Korel

Officer Application

Post by Korel »

Is it possible to apply for a comission in the TA upon first joining, i know it probably is but whats the chances of being accepted like and how would i go about it. I'm really interested and have done shit loads of research but the TA website seems very generlised and no specifics aas to processes undergone. can anyone shed light on it for me?
df2inaus

TA Officer

Post by df2inaus »

In the signals regiment I was in all officers were taken from the ranks and attended exercises that the CO deemed appropriate for potential officers. If you join up as a soldier and express interest in becoming an officer you should get the opportunity.
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

There is the new DEPO (direct entry potential officer) which has been running for a year or two now.
You do all your initial training with other potentials from your brigade area, then the TACC at Sandhurst before even seeing your unit.

Go to http://www.ta.mod.uk and register interest in becoming an officer. You'll get a fancy DVD and all the forms you need to get the ball rolling. Failing that ring your local TA unit and enquire about the DEPO scheme.
What do you know about surfing major, you're from god damn New Jersey
Korel

Post by Korel »

Do They assigne you a unit or can you choose as there are three in my area.
Calamity_Jane

Korel

Post by Calamity_Jane »

Can I ask what type of Research you have been doing and where to find it?

Many Thanks

Calamity Jane
Korel

Post by Korel »

Phoneing round all my local units asking for information sent out and also the info bundles on the websites and the websites themselves. but so far the info is very generelised and there is no specifics, thats why i resorted to this wonderful forum.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Visit www.ta.mod.uk like AdamR said have a look around and see if it's for you. If so then phone the number and they'll tell you what the process is, you will be asked to attend a selection board then if successful you'll join the preparation course for RMAS.

On my course the Direct Entrants (DE's) like yourself were on the Bde's pay books so they were not attached to any unit. During the course we had a number of visits from various regiments and arms trying to tempt you to join them.

As far as I know you have to make you're final choice before going to RMAS. If you have an idea of what you want to do my advice is join a unit as soon as possible which will allow you to train during the week with them and and the weekend with the Bde. The more training you get at this stage the better and the easier you will find things.

If you need anymore info give me a shout.
Korel

Post by Korel »

Cheers walker that was a big help, just to clarify whats Bde (i'm not up on the abriviations yet)
Walker

Post by Walker »

No probs mate, Bde is short for Brigade.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Just saw that you're from Glasgow so you'll be 51(Scottish) Bde same as me, our paths may cross. What unit you thinking of?
Korel

Post by Korel »

for convinence theres an infintery one on hotspur street but i really want to take my self to the limit so i'm seriously considering the paras
Walker

Post by Walker »

I considered 15 Coy too even put in for a transfer but by the time I had done their training my officers course again and got my pip it would be time for me to join the Regs. Decided to stay and get some valuable experience with my current unit, gonna get me a set of wings at some point though.

To cap it off I broke my foot, then my wrist before the transfer no hope of passing P Coy in that state.
Korel

Post by Korel »

what would you guys recoment Direct entry or doing a stint as a soldier and going for a comision later in your TA career
Walker

Post by Walker »

I dived right in and said I would like to be an Officer from the start however I can see how doing time in the ranks would be good. It lets you get to know all the trades you at a later date may be commanding, you get to see the structure and roles of a unit in full swing but you need to watch you don't become one of the guys, or so a friend of mine said. As when you do get your pip the boys will just see you as one of them, good because you can get on with them but they need to respect you and follow your orders etc....

Take note I'm drunk at the moment so if it doesn't make sense I apologise and I'll revisit in the morning to correct it...maybe.
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

I agree that the TA website is more like a marketing tool than a repository of useful information (sack the PR pricks who were behind it). I found this info (from my local infantry regiment) to be useful:

http://www.army.mod.uk/ewrr/recruiting/officer.htm

I must admit I find it a strange concept that you train as an officer for a whole year without being involved in the unit you will join. Then you roll up after Sandhurst with a commission and a command. I know this resembles the regular army, but time spend getting to know you unit and soldiers seems sensible to me.