Share This Page:

Cheffing in Navy

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Peds

Cheffing in Navy

Post by Peds »

Evening all,

I am currently a chef, and at work today conversation of long-term plans cropped up with another chef. I mentioned that I ultimately wish to join the Marines, and she replied that she wanted to be a chef in the Navy.

She had a brief interview at our local AFCO in which they tried to shock her into submission with questions such as "There are 250 men on the ship, all needing feeding! How many of you do you expect to have in the galley?!", to which to she nonchalently responded "Oh, maybe two of us... three if theres a dedicated KP..."
"Oh, well, yes... That's right actually." - I won't say a trifle compared to the two of us doing 400 at lunch today, but she is well aware of the pressures of the job and the abilities required of her if she were to join.

But I am rambling. She mentioned that she was too old to join as an officer, which would have been her first choice, but presumably that would rule out working in the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! anway?
She also said that, even though she has completed a full catering course to a very high standard, she would have to go through the most basic stuff of her life with a load of numpties again - learning how to boil pasta and the like. This is putting her off ever so slightly, but she understands that it would be necessary for joining up - teach everyone the same thing, so no-one misses out on something vital.

The basic question is - what are the options for a mid-twenty something female regarding cheffing in the Navy?
Many thanks for any reply.

Edit - when I was a more frequent member on the site, I seem to remember a question I posed about cheffing in the past being answered by an established member with direct experience... the username escapes me... is this elusive old hand still around?
skoot

Post by skoot »