Share This Page:

Can an average bloke turn into a potential marine?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Brian-

Can an average bloke turn into a potential marine?

Post by Brian- »

Been doing a LOT of thinking recently about getting fit and joining the forces... Originally I wanted to join the Navy and decided I need to get much, much fitter and stronger. I'm still relatively unfit, but I can feel a massive difference since I started trying. I went for a run this morning and it felt SO much easier than last time, such a great feeling and a huge confidence boost!

At the moment my life is going nowhere. Left school a few months ago and I've just been doing part-time evening shifts at Sainsbury's since... Obviously this isn't what I want to do! Since I started thinking about the military route a couple of months ago (well actually a couple of years ago, but it's recently become more serious) I planned to spend about 5-6 months training for the Navy. More recently I've been thinking more.. Although I like certain aspects of the Navy, I feel that I want to actually fight, and so the army has come into my mind...

So basically, what I was wondering, what's to stop me going all out and training for absolutely ages, then try and join the marines? For some reason the RM seems a lot more appealing than the army.. I believe I am a potentially fit person, just need a lot of work. Even if it took me a year or so, is it possible? It's not like I'm running out of time or anything, only 19.

I'm very interested in your opinions..

dalo

Post by dalo »

First of all of course its possible to get fit over time, just needs dedication. When i started preparing myself for doing what i want to do which is having a career in the marines i couldnt jog 150 metres, could do like 5 sit ups and couldnt do a press up. Over time i have improved incredibly, but the thing you have to keep in your mind is it isnt all about the fitness its "strength of mind" aswell cause from reading the forums about prmc they really show you the meaning of beasting. So a thing to keep in your head when out training etc is that you will be pushed very hard mentally down at prmc. So incorporate this into your fitness work, i find doing hill sprints a really good exercise not just physically but mentally because it is really hard and if you keep doing them over an over until exhaustion and really try and push yourself mentally, in the long run your "stength of mind" will become stronger and you will find it easier to push that extra mile or extra 10 press ups.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

I can completely relate to Dalo’s position and his way of thinking.

There are three key principals I follow in my personal fitness training which I have developed over the two and a half years I have been getting and staying fit from scratch. Tried and tested, I hope they help some people as they certainly helped me a lot. Some have been mentioned before but my principals bring it all together.
Ok this might be a little long…
They are as follows: -

Variety: Variation is an EXTREEMLY useful and important aspect of fitness training, I go by the rule that I will not do the exact same thing i.e I will not do the same run, type of run or circuit training session more than once a week, twice at the absolute most. This principle doesn’t necessarily have to apply to weight training, or your press-ups, sit-ups or pull-ups as these rely on repetition, and besides these cannot really be varied except in format as in with the circuit they are contained in for instance.
You will find that if you do the same thing like a 3 mile run 5 times a week like I used to do when I was getting fit for the first time you will hit a platu very quickly, this is extremely frustrating. The trick is to keep your body on it’s toes to stop it getting over used to one specific activity and stalling well bellow peak.

Reality: - Base your exercise on ‘reality’ i.e train in a format and style that you expect to face in what ever you are training for.
DON’T take the easy route!
This sounds like common sense but if you put some thought into it goes a long way. For instance, when you are out running, instead of using stiles, ‘role’ over the gate like you would when crossing that obstacle on the assault course at CTC (can’t remember what it’s called) where you have to through your body weight over and then swing your legs over. Train when it’s cold and wet, when it’s hot, where it’s muddy and where it’s hilly, Push yourself even harder when you realise you are getting tired because on PRMC and in training this is when the PTIs will push you harder, and it’s where real strength of mind shows through and the weak fall back…
NEVER stop or walk during a run! (This might take practice to discipline yourself but you will begin to surprise yourself when you start getting mentally fitter along with physicaly).
Run in boots sometimes, and sometimes some weight on your back. Get your body used to doing exercise when your tired (you will be surprised sometimes how well you do when you think your to tired to train). Also mix up and combine your exercises, do press-ups and sit-ups before and after a run, warm up HARD and make sure your not fresh before you start.

Effort: - Finally this is obviously a big key – ALWAYS push yourself to the max, if you are not knackered enough at the end of a run and you still got some distance then go all out and if your still not knackered at the end then keep going or do some Press-ups and sit-ups, etc. Most people (they won’t admit it) will stop at the end of a run and think “blimy I’m hanging out” but really, they no they can do more – this is where it counts.
Set yourself challenges – when you start getting fitter and can go for longer runs, set your self a ‘scenic’ route and get out into the middle of nowhere, I have found on several occasions when I deliberately went out of my way I was in the middle of nowhere and absolutely f@#k, I had stopped briefly for a drink and thought…. I’m not gonna make it back, but I got no choice… and your will have to push yourself.
Try it because it will toughen you up!
Also Set yourself little self discipline tests in every day life like going out to the shops without that nice warm flees so you can get used to being a little bit cold and uncomfortable (This does work, but obviously don't go over the top and stand in the snow in the middle of the night in your boxers because that's obviously not good for your health...), or always add on 2 or more more press-ups to any set target in a set just to get yourself into a habbit of going that little bit extra.

Having said all that :oops: , if you are pretty unfit when you start then it sometimes helps to start bellow your ability just to get ‘conditioned’ before you start pushing yourself regularly, this will prevent injury as well as help in stopping the inevitable doubt and lack of motivation felt after a couple of weeks of getting fit for the first time.
Also it is just as importent as any training principal to get the right amout of rest and even diet, without these you will not progress effectivly and will be tempting illness or injury.

Good luck,

JZ.
Last edited by Statistic on Fri 03 Dec, 2004 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nobody said it was gonna be easy!"
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Thanks for taking the time to write that Statistic, and the other guys. I'm definitely going to keep at it and try my best to succeed. Spent £120 on gym stuff a few weeks ago, so spending my hard-earned cash is a bit of an incentive too.. :)

I'll try and vary my routine from now on. I've been writing down everything I've done for a while now, I think that helps too. Also taken the advice of many people on here regarding press-ups - keep randomly 'banging' them out!

Missing out on the pub tonight to get an early night so I can have a nice run in the morning. I'm (hopefully) going to run until I absolutely have to stop this time. Last time I felt I could have gone further..

I'll let you know what happens, and thanks again, it's very encouraging. :D
dalo

Post by dalo »

well done mate :D and keep in mind fitness is a gradual thing that comes over time so dont worry if you feel the pace or distance of your runs isnt amazing it will come in time. :D
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

Brian- wrote:Missing out on the pub tonight to get an early night so I can have a nice run in the morning.
NO!!! Drinking has its place in any well thought out fitness regime. :evil:
iareglenn

Post by iareglenn »

who thinks this is a good idea, what i do is i have a different excercise for 5 different rooms in my house for example, living room=sit ups. every morning when i go into each room i do as many as i possibly can and from then on i do a small number of reps.
As for running i alternate between sprint work and long distance and depending on how tired i am i decide on the distance or times of these runs. what does everyone think cos this is just an idea.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

iareglenn wrote:who thinks this is a good idea, what i do is i have a different excercise for 5 different rooms in my house for example, living room=sit ups. every morning when i go into each room i do as many as i possibly can and from then on i do a small number of reps.
As for running i alternate between sprint work and long distance and depending on how tired i am i decide on the distance or times of these runs. what does everyone think cos this is just an idea.
That's a good idea mate. It is a great idea to do sprint work as you will do a lot in the PRMC. If you do what you state above mate, that should get you fit enough for your PRMC.....just remember to really push yourself on sprints, long runs etc. Best thing to do is, if you can find a place with hills and sprint/do runs up the hills.
HotShot

Post by HotShot »

I'm a bit of an athlete, not too much so, but just goto my local athletics club and do events once a month or so. This GREATLY improves your fitness, and I suggest it to anyone/everyone. A great way of building fitness (I've found) is by doing 5x800m, with a 4-5 minute recovery time. At first, take them steady, but as you get fitter and fitter you can go for speed. This increases your lactic tolerance, and lung capacity (although not as much as a long run would), which are the 2 area's why most people finding running difficult.

Another good session to improve both overall cardio fitness as well as sprinting, is a clocks session. Last time I did one (tuesday) I did 300m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1200m, 1200m, 800m, 600m, 400m, 300m with a 5 minute recovery between each. Trust me, after the first few times you do this, you will feel very sore in the morning, but it is well worth it.

Anyway, to put a point to my post, join an athletics club. Great for fitness, and makes running a bit more fun too, as well as having good athletes to compare/pace yourself against.