Share This Page:

New Eyesight policy

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Jon

New Eyesight policy

Post by Jon »

I had my medical about a month ago and passed, but yesturday I got a phone call from the AFCO saying that a new policy on eyesight has been adopted. Because I am slightly short sighted, I fall into 'category 3' and therefore have to get my opticians to fill in a form. Although my PJFT is still taking place later this month and I have been told that my application has not been affected, I am worried that the applciation will be affected in the near future. Has anybody else had to fill in a form for thier eyesight having already passed the medical?
The Best Is Yet To Come
johnno2004

Post by johnno2004 »

i got that same fone call i shat my pants as ive got my prmc on monday!
the careers officer said dont worry about it and to concentrate on my prmc
i was panicking like hell :o

Post by Guest »

On the Marines web page it says that if you'v had eye sergery then you cant be accepted. I used to have a turn in my right eye but it was fixed by sergery when I was quite young. I have 20/20 vision but one eye is short sighted and the other is long. Does any of this mean I wont be able to get in?
mitch1985

Post by mitch1985 »

lee, i wouldnt of force so as you would of had that operation to see again and not fix vision? i dunno, hopefully theyl let you in. does anyone know what the eyeseight requirements are.
wildfire213

Post by wildfire213 »

why does it matter if youve had surgery as long as ur eye sight is ok?
wouldnt it be better to have surgery than have massive glasses?
guns dont kill people, people kill people
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

wildfire213 wrote:why does it matter if youve had surgery as long as ur eye sight is ok?
wouldnt it be better to have surgery than have massive glasses?
There is debate as to the long term effects of laser eye surgery, some people think it can damage the physical structure of the eye and also weaken your night vision but it hasn't been around long enough to provide solid evidence to back this up.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Last edited by Louis on Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

Lee if one eye is short sighted and one long then you haven't got 20/20 vision. The surgery you have had does not affect your application, the surgery that affects it is Laser Eye Surgery IE Lasik and Lasek.