Share This Page:

Got Initiation Date

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
harry

Got Initiation Date

Post by harry »

finally got a starting date at Raleigh, at the end of October :)
i've been touching up on my running as well, since i've become a bit rusty since the PJFT ;)

anyone else going down end of October?
feederboy

Post by feederboy »

I know what you mean about the running mate. Bit to easy to slip back into the slobbish, Trisha-watching lifestyle after you do the PJFT :D .

I'll be up at Raleigh from October 3rd, so i'll be about halfway through by the time you've started. Just go along to the passing in parade in your fourth week and look out for the lanky ginger bloke who constantly looks on the verge of cocking up!

Seriously mate, good luck to you and hopefully see you on the other side.

Andy
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

Good luck chaps, but don't forget to practice press ups etc as well, however tempting the extra PT sessions might seem ;).
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
harry

Post by harry »

well, i have kept up a fairly good fitness level. mainly walking/cycling, with the odd bit of running now and then.
but i have'nt concentrated at all on my upper body strength,is it a real important part of training? :(
no trisha though, i've seen enough overweight, drug addicts to last a life time. ;)

good luck to you too mate,
Harry

:P
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Upper body strength is not all that important, as long as you can do the 23 press ups(the PTI`s like effort so know how to do more) When you go to Dartmoor, you will be carry a Burgen, it can be heavy and unconfertable if you dont pack it properly.....apart from that, its easy sailing(pardon the pun)
harry

Post by harry »

well i've been training for a while now. i can do the 1.5 run much more comfortable now, and have started practicing press-ups (i tried the other day and could only manage 15!!)

apart from that, should that be enough physical training for raleigh?

cheers.
feederboy

Post by feederboy »

Yeah, I had a shock when I realised that in my old age (19), I couldn't do half as many press ups as I could in school. Maybe I need to go back and get a beasting from my old PE teacher?! Second thoughts, maybe the PT instructors would do a better job. Third thoughts, I'm going to start working out more!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

If you have`nt done any form of physical exersice, its going to be tuff. Even the Part 1 training is tuff in that sense. There are other aspects to it though. Remeber, 1.5 miles is NOTHING! the 3/5 Mile endurance run, is easy(you go at the pass of the slowest man, or should I say women as they go in the lead) Dont forget the Sit ups aswell. Not to difficult but still a annoyance if you cant do them.
I was fortunate, I ask a friend what "Military" fitness was like. He told me what he went threw (he was in the army, so I trained to that standard, twice a day at the gym, 3 mile run, 5k on rowing machine, 3 k on Bike, 100 press ups and situps, and assorted weights machines which i dislike, twice a day) 2 years down the line, things have changed :)
harry

Post by harry »

i had a quick look on google about raleigh, and a navy website mentioned 1.5mile timed run, 300m shuttl run, pressups and push ups as the required physical tests. and i'm sure i read somewhere that raleigh is a lot less strict a course than it used to be.
its like you said, as long as you are seen to put 110% effort in, even if you fall short of the mark, they might not boot you out.

these things always seem more frightning untill you do the actual thing and wonder what all the fuss was about. :D