Share This Page:

Canadians in Para Reg?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
bena

Canadians in Para Reg?

Post by bena »

Hi,
This is my first post so sorry if this a useless thread or breaking any forum etiquette!

I am a Canadian with dual citizenship (uk). I have never lived in the UK. As a Canadian I am curious to find out if anyone has ever heard of Canadians coming across the pond to join (or at least try to join) the famed Paras?

I know it doesn't really make a difference whether or not someone is Canadian however, I am interested to hear about how they handled themselves despite cultural differences, tough training etc...

Heck, any Canadians ever try a shot at UKSF selection?

Anecdotes are fun too!

P.S. I am partially interested because I am considering trying once I finish University. Just the thought keeps me going.

Thank you!
Ben
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Yes, there are quite a few Canadians who are in the Paras.

It should be easy for you with dual citizenship. :wink:

Whats wrong with the canadian army? Some of my mates saw your Special forces in Afghan, and said they looked the dogs bollocks. "The alliest SF i have ever seen" were his exact words i believe! 8)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Tab

Post by Tab »

there are quite a few men from a lot of former British Colonies in the Para's
bena

Post by bena »

Interesting!
Good to know I'm not the only Canuck who thinks about it.

I am interested to see how the Canadian Special Forces turn out Paratrooper01, they seem to be on a major recruitment push these days! However, with the federal election coming up, we'll see how long it lasts.
At least they got a new website out of it!
http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

Why not the Canadian army?
I deserve some flak for saying this but although Canada has been good to me, the British army appeals more because thats where most of my family has come from.
I have a suspicion that Canadians don't give enough respect to their armed forces either, which bothers me greatly. Don't get me started on serious underfunding.
I also just want to be somewhere new! Road tripped across Canada multiple times.

Plus, its the Para Reg!
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

bena: I've served on both sides of the pond. When I came over here in '90, there was quite a bit of apathy towards the military in Canada. It was quite depressing. In the last few years though (i.e., since Canada has been progressively more engaged in Yugo/Bosnia and now A'stan), public awareness and public opion has definitely improved. I am proud to be in the Canadian Army and proud of Canada's role internationally.

As for Canadian SF: JTF2 do very well indeed and are excellent at what they do, as is CSOR. Of course, JTF2 was set up in their modern form by the Brit SAS, but they also "steal" ideas from around the international SF community. CSOR is only a coupleof years old, but are "kicking ass and taking names", as it were.

There's no reason why you can't do both. Go have your adventure with the Paras, then come back and get stuck into CSOR or JTF2.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

anglo-saxon wrote:There's no reason why you can't do both. Go have your adventure with the Paras, then come back and get stuck into CSOR or JTF2.
Your lucky, you have the best of both worlds mate.

Am i right in saying A-S that it doesnt work the other way round?
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
bena

Post by bena »

Ah!
Thank you A-S,
Thats good to hear.
Just got to keep preparing so I can represent with the rest of them. Hopefully.
STAND UP HOOK UP

Post by STAND UP HOOK UP »

There was a canadian with us in the mid 80 to late 80 s not sure what he got up to when i left, think he went back to nova scotia? but remember talking to a jock who was with the canadians in cyprus 86, princess patricias light infantry? he was born in scotland and his family emigrated, if i remember correctly wernt they one of the best payed armies around?