Share This Page:

Iron - lead

General information on Military History.
London Boy

Iron - lead

Post by London Boy »

Currently reading an Allan Mallinson novel(India - 1824) and something just cropped up that made me think of a question I couldn't answer.

Now we all know that the ball shot used in muskets and early rifles was made of iron, but when the first enclosed all-in-one cartridges were first used, was the bullet itself lead or iron?

Any good links to the history of early rifle ammo much appreciated.
Tab

Post by Tab »

In cannon it was Iron, in muskets it was lead. Before they had the cartridge then soldiers would have moulds so that they could make their own bullets from any lead they could lay their hands on
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Tab wrote:In cannon it was Iron, in muskets it was lead. Before they had the cartridge then soldiers would have moulds so that they could make their own bullets from any lead they could lay their hands on
Are you sure, Mallinson states that muskets and early rifles used iron ball shot?
And I, like you, always thought that they used lead. Hence my question and my rather cheekily worded "Now we all know that the ball shot used in muskets and early rifles was made of iron" :wink:

I think we need a solid source to solve this.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

It was iron for the first all in one cartridge cases containing a bullet, firing cap and measured charge which were used in smooth bore muskets. Iron ball or bullets cause greater wear to rifled barrels and the switch was made solely to lead ball mainly for that reason. Lead is also denser than iron. Both materials have been used since firearms first started.

Ask Owdun and JR what they used at Trafalgar 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Thanks Harry!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Also lead would change shape under pressure and make a better seal in the barrel. The Mini shot that was used in rifled barrels was hollow at one end so that when you fired your rifle the hollow end would expand and fill the barrel allowing the rifling to spin the bullet