Share This Page:

Pay As You Dine

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Darren82

Pay As You Dine

Post by Darren82 »

Is this in at the units yet?

Any good?

Hoping it's not all pussers pasties and all the naafi leftovers

Any links to more information?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

It`s a wonderfull thing mate 8)
Everyone thinks it`s a tremendous success 8)
Everyone at the MoD, that is :P
Scuse me, I think I need to stirr me pot noodle :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

:D

Main concern is that it's all reheated, processed garbage which can't be good news

Nothing like messing with a mans dinner to make him get a sad on

Careful what you wish for and all that eh :-?
RMC

Post by RMC »

what exactly is it? is it instead of the normal? or aswell? do you still pay the food allowence etc? or you just buy what you eat like in normal cafes???
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Darren, to answer your question, I read somewhere on the site that it is the case for some of the Units, However it didnt mentions which ones.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Some places have got it already, some are due to get it this year. Basically it's the same crap, but now you only have to pay when you eat it, but they regulate the portions to the point where I wrapped altogether as to eat a decent amount I basically ended up paying double at each meal. And that's before you start talking about the 'Chef's Special' at each meal (slightly more expensive crap - basically the best option on the menu).

So yeah, it's shit. Start learning how to cook in a microwave (it's amazing what you can do), unless you're fortunate to have brand new SLAM with a cooker.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

Im with druadan on this one it is a heap of shit! Even Gordon Ramsey himself would have trouble beating Royal in a Microwave food comp these days!

Imagine the scene, your in a nice restaraunt, you kid orders a meal of the kids menu, you send it back cause the portions a joke, the chef comes out, "you think thats a joke mate, thats twice as much as they serve at the camp down the road", its true the portions and the quaility of the meat is some where bejond even the darkest of humour!!! it pays to be unhealthy and eat chips chip and a portion of grease! salads etc are double the cost of a burger and chips.

Of course all the officers who over saw its introduction thing is the most waz thing since sliced bread, you never see any of them eating it mind as theyd rather go for the real food on the silver platers in the Toffs mess.

Pay as you dine is a joke and nothing but, its a scam from start to finish!! although i hear at lympstone its nots that bad!!!

Microwave and toasters...now thats a chefs dream these days!!

Drip Drip Drip :bad-words:
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
harry hackedoff

It`s one of those "one size fits all" ideas that just don`t work. Some bean counter had multiple orgasms when he dreamed it up. Chef`s Branch must be counting the days :roll:
What happened to "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it" ffs :roll:
What`s it like in the Units davo?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
davo141

Post by davo141 »

im on a perce camp at the moment and honestly, its disgraceful! ask anyone that eats it, they all agree its pisspoor, ask anyone that doesnt and its alright! (ie officers etc).

The portions at SEME are generally a joke, it proberly suits people with eating disorders down to the ground but bootnecks that do phys twice aday often its a bit of a shame that your starving an hour after 'half a scran', even perce that do phys once or twice a week must be hanging out with starvation!! proberly suits the women though!

Id say it wont last long but seen as the MoD are hanging out for cash and the people that implemented it and dont use it dont care, i guess its another thing we'll have to grin and bear till someone somewhere sees sence.

I believe the Chief of Staff, cant remember his name, in the speech about morale been low mentioned Pay as you dine as a moronic idea! everyone knows it, i guess its more about the coin than the lads these days!

Davo
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
harry hackedoff

It wasn`t meant to be that way and it certainly wasn`t sold to the Corps as a way to save money. What happened to three square meals a day then, ffs?
If it`s that bad in ukers, what`s it like on opps ?
As it was explained to me, prior to pay as you dine, chefs had a budget for seven days victuals. Many blokes went home or ashore at weekends so there was always a surplus. This was ploughed back during the week to give extra portions or decent steak or nine-o-clockers.
Pay as you dine was supposed to reflect what was actually needed and not leave the lads feeling seen-off.
Great idea, isn`t working, go back to what did. And Dutchy 8)
druadan

Post by druadan »

You don't pay for scran on ops Harry, and it's still the responsibility of chefs rather than civvies, so it's not too bad (unitl they start running out of fresh stuff anyhow :-? ).

When it came in it wasn't too bad, the scran wasn't any better but they didn't keep tabs on what you put on your plate, and you could more or less get away with paying Core Meal prices for what you'd usually eat (Core Meal being priced to total exactly the same per day as what Pusser used to charge). The advantage then was you didn't pay for breakfast if you have cereal/toast in your grot, nor for weekends or Friday lunch/dinner if you're away up the line. Then they started watching you like a hawk from the minute you pick up your plate, and charging you for every little thing. You're allowed one cup of squash and two sauce sachets per meal, any more you get charged. If you get a baguette at lunch, anything with it adds to the price (whereas if you get a fatboy pie, beans and chips come free).

I was at Poole last week where PAYD hasn't come in yet, the scran's far better and you can get decent portions. I don't object to paying for weekends etc when I'm not eating if I get a decent meal every time I do eat, otherwise you spend all the money you save in Tesco's or the NAAFI to keep from starving.