Share This Page:

fitness test

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
Breathingbrick

fitness test

Post by Breathingbrick »

Hi
I am joining as a mine clearance diver so my PJFT time is 10.45min instaed of the usual 12.?? min

I am writing this to ask if any knows what kind of foods I should be eating prior to the PJFT.

I was running the 2.4k in about 13.30 min and I've done the test once and but got it down to less than 9min at the test until the last 200m when I went dizzy and the test was stopped :evil:
( then again proberbly better than flying off the end of the tread mill and landing in a big heap )

Any help would be appreciated
duggers19

Post by duggers19 »

Hey mate you should eat some health food like cereal and abit of fruit prior and on the day of your test. Also ensure you drink some water to prevent dehydration of the body. After you have done your test, make sure you drink water to keep body hydrated and eat a mars bar or something to give you a sugar boost. I am joining the navy as a diver and when you go down to Horsea Island for your PEDA course, you will drinking more water than an elephant.

Good luck and all the best :)
If you are determined enough to do something, then you will succeed at anything.
Breathingbrick

Post by Breathingbrick »

Cheers I eat plenty of fruit already also i drink alot of water. got to start at the gym again had a few weeks off after last test but got my new test papers through recently
duggers19

Post by duggers19 »

On the treadmill at a gym they have the RN fit test practice that:

were all the buttons are eg hill,cardio, manuel etc, press the 'fit test' button and keep pressing until you get to the navy fit test.
If you are determined enough to do something, then you will succeed at anything.
ET(WE)Pooley

Post by ET(WE)Pooley »

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5457

that link gives you the basic ones... it will help you alot as that is also the page for basic training.
AC

Post by AC »

First off, f@#k treadmills - they are a complete waste of training time. You will never, ever run on a treadmill when and if you get to DDS. Work on your dips and chins, after that, do more dips and chins. In fact, do dips and chins until you vom. Then go for a hard run and do more dips and chins.

Make sure you have good C.V endurance and plenty of stamina. Great running times are one thing, but if you don't have the mental toughness to carry on when you are chinstrapped then you won't make it.

As for eating, just make sure you eat a healthy balanced diet. No matter what you eat, at some point in the day it will want to come back up and say hello - espescially if you get a gobful of oggin. Just accept that there is a high likelihood of puking and cram as much food into your face as possible - you will need the energy. I drink half a litre of Maximuscle Viper Extreme every morning, i've developed a nervous twitch, but it helps keep you alert and energetic all day long.

One last thing, you need to get your run time down to under 10 minutes otherwise you're going to find yourself being singled out. Generally, if you come in under 9.30 and have a faceful of snot, you are left alone. If you plod in at 10.something, with a bit of a sweat on, standby!
If it doesn't hurt it's not worth doing!