Share This Page:

Harold Wilson's Resignation

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Marina

Harold Wilson's Resignation

Post by Marina »

From what I understand ( correct me if I am wrong, wise ones here)
Harold Wilson was a very popular labour PM but he suddenly resigned in the middle of his term, why ? :-?

There was a documentary on him a few months ago and I missed it. Was he too left wing or did he offend the US ?? Any conspiracy theories will do.

Harry, I can't believe he was deceiving the wife... are you sure about this ? I know the Queen liked him but wasn't he a pipe and family man ?
Daka

Post by Daka »

Wilson said that he had always planned on retiring at the age of 60 and claimed he was mentally and physically exhausted.

However, some claim that he was acutely aware of the onset of alzheimers and that his formerly excellent memory and concentration began to disappear.

The queen did like him, infact she went to dine at 10 downing street to mark his resignation. The only other she had done that with was churchill.

As for conspiracy theories; Some in MI5 claimed he was a soviet agent and some tried to undermine him.

Infact, MI5 had enocouraged attempts to destablise the Wilson government and in a tv show this year, former intelligence officials admitted that some had planned to overthrow the wilson government with the use of armed (in some cases private) forces.

MI5 used their "black propoganda" section to print maliscous romours, such as he was an IRA sympathiser. This was allgedly an attempt to ensure a conservative victory at the next election.

There is a book written called: "Harold Wilson: Smear" (something along those lines anyway) that deals with these quite extensively, i hear its quite good.
Marina

Post by Marina »

Hi Daka ,

Many thanks for your input. Its very interesting story. Will try and find that book you mentioned
Tab

Post by Tab »

I never thouight that Wilson was a popular PM, he always struck me that he had no back bone at all. He would never challenge the Unions but gave way on every demand that they made. If you ever watch him being interviewed he would never give a straight answer, and yes I know there are a lot around like him. One time he was asked about mini skirts and even then he could not give a staright answer but gave all the pro's con's for and against in case he lost a single vote