Share This Page:

The 30 Miler

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Bickers

The 30 Miler

Post by Bickers »

Me and my oppo who are both Marine Cadet Instructors are wanting to do the 30 Miler for charity and need the route used can anyone help us with this ?
_T.K_

Post by _T.K_ »

Good effort fella, really admirable mate!

Basically you yomp from one side of Dartmoor across to the other.

Best of luck!

T.K
druadan

Post by druadan »

Don't know the route off hand, but as you're connected anyhow your best bet might be to just ring Lympstone. They've got a nice big 3D map of the route, as you're local they might even let you go take a look at it. Doesn't hurt to ask at least.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Sound advice there, TK. I`d take it if I were you 8)
We do the thirty every year down here, but sadly, our route doesn`t involve the use of Dartmoor. :P
It does involve a thirty mile trek in the outback with temperatures in the high thirties, at least four sorts of highly venemous snakes, several deadly spiders and an ex turkey snurgler :o
Thirty miles is still thirty miles mind :wink: . RMA Poole do it over two days which is an eminently far more refined method. :roll:
We like to get rat faced, stay up all night spinning dits and telling each other ever-more unlikely trapping tales before hitting the track at 06 00 still shite-ers 8)
I`ve usually cracked at least twenty miles before I sober up and realise where I am :P
We`em doin `er again come September. Bring yer own Oggys if`un youm wants to join us :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

We use an incentive training aid when we do the thirty.
It`s simple but rather effective! :P
We walk out into the bush, away from any form of human habitation or thoughts of rescue, for a distance of fifteen miles.
There is no option but to walk the fifteen back. Genius or what 8)
To date, everyone who has attempted our thirty miler has completed the course! 8)
Here`s the start, and they`re offski 8)
Fifteen out and it`s your choice Lofty 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Bickers,
If you get in touch with the PT Wing at Lympstone (CTCRM?), they will give you all the information that you want. Routes, checkpoints, maps etc.
You may even get accommodation at Okehampton!
The RMA at Poole, did just that a couple of years ago!
Yours,
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Archie

Post by Archie »

sneaky beaky wrote: You may even get accommodation at Okehampton!
If you're really unlucky that is! :wink:
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
Bickers

Post by Bickers »

Guys, Cheers for all the info gen... I will contact CTC and see what stuff i can get from them CTC have been real good in the past...
Artist

Post by Artist »

This link might help you suss out the ground you have to cover.

www.royalmarinesigs.co.uk/walk2006/wlk1.htm

Some Owd n Bold Oppos of mine did it a few weeks ago. Not in Eight hours mind. Took them two days what with all the pubs, icecream vendors and suchlike they kept bumbing into. Age range was from forty odd up to seventy odd. Once a Marine always a Marine.

Artist
harry hackedoff

England`s green and pleasant Ste, remember it well 8) It`s amazing how you forget how green Devon is :-?
I see Eddie M was there 8) I won`t nick any phots Eddie :roll: Good on em all I say. :wink:
Thirty miles is still thirty miles. The average time for our thirty is around the ten hours mark.
At fifty six, I clocked ten and a half. One of our younger Members, Taff Williams pissed it in six hours forty :o Paul P was just over seven hours. Clubs Rea age sixty seven is about the same time as me 8) That`s not bad going for a bunch of old reprobates, hey? 8)
Last year we had a few Para Reg with us and one Mad Mick Betheridge managed just over the eleven. He is Seventy Six Years Young and gained a Black Belt in Karate three years ago together with his fourteen year old grand-daughter 8)
That`s what it`s about Ladies. Never ever give up. 8)
Act like you mean it girls, like it`s the real thing.
Because hey, guess what, life is for keeps, it`s not a rehearsal. 8)
Artist

Post by Artist »

Bert

When I was in training (1973) you got your Green Lid at week 14 (No Royal Marines Commando Flashes mind) we didn't do the 30 miler. Instead at the end of Commando Training we did this final Ex called Quantum Leap.

Quite a few blokes of my age will back me up on this but it was a right bugger to do. From the minute you arrived at RV1 you were running around Dartmoor like blue arsed flies for hours on end wearing CEMO (complete equipment marching order) looking for a Navy Blue Landrover with a Plastic Missile stuck in the back (I never saw the bloody thing!).

Them days we had to use the kit we were issued with. No bergans just the shite 58 pattern webbing (Designed by some sadistic Lesbian Female so I heard!). Manys the time some poor NOD would forget to clip his large pack to his CEFO (complete equipment fighting order) and basically brain himself when he leaned forward or dived to the deck during Section Attacks! :D

Instead we did this thing called the eighty minute double. Wearing CEFO (30lbs of weight), plus your SLR, DMS boots and Putties, your gladrags (denim jacket, denim trollies, and your pussers PT top, a Rugby shirt. Red, white or blue). Just like the Nine miler but instead of quick marching up hills and running down them and the flat you ran for the entire eighty minutes.

You would get back to CTC and instead of stopping at the Sports Field Carpark to square yourself away prior to marching though the maingate they would keep you going straight into CTC. Normally you did it in in less than eighty minute by the time you had arrived at the maingate so the troop would run down to the Bottom Field and countermarch until the eighty minutes had been hacked. Quite a few blokes cracked up because of it and therefore had to do it all over again the next day.

This period of no 30 milers lasted I think from around about 1971 until 1976 then the 30 miler was reintroduced back into training. As it was when I joined 40 at Seaton Barracks the unit would wait until they had enough blokes and then send us all of to do a 30 miler! And later when I was a member of one of the training teams I had to do the bloody thing anyway!!! :evil:

How long's a piece of string? :D :D :D :D

Artist
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

If i have alook round, i might have a map with the grids on for the check points i can tell you off the top of my head one is Scorehill gate, the second is Merripit which sits just forward of Fenworthy Forest, the third is a veiw point / car park just off Bell Tor, the fourth is a small car park after a cattle grid cattle grid NW of a small village called Holne and the final one is Dartmoor training center just next to Prince Hall.