Share This Page:

Joining Advice Please

Talk about Military Life, Families, Relatives, Wives, Mothers, Fathers, Brothers and Sisters and the community.
ChrisGray

Joining Advice Please

Post by ChrisGray »

I'm 22 years of age and after my GCSE's and leaving school I never really new what I wanted to do. I ended up starting work in a photographic shop and worked my way up from Sales Assistant to manager. Just before christmas I was made redundent. I'm still unemployed now and am really finding it hard to think what I want to do with my life. I'm a very active person with bags of energy I really need sotming to stimulate my body and mind.

For around 3 months now ive been thinking of joing the RAF, I see it as being a great challenge and an exciting experience ??. Im only at the stage of complting my inest form at the moment. Is 22 leaving it a bit late to join the RAF do you think?. I have a habbit of lacking confidence, do you think it will improve my confidence and make me a better person.? I never realised just how many job opptinites (trades there were)
JoJo82

Post by JoJo82 »

22 yrs old is not too late lol I know people who have joined up at 30yrs old. Do what is best suited to YOU and no one else. The military offers the comfort of a secure job, pay, a place to sleep. It is a good life oncce it is up and running, give it a shot I say!

GOOD LUCK!
[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~stuart.bowell/jb.jpg[/img]
[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev307bf___.png[/img][/url]
Tab

Post by Tab »

Just what do you want to do in the RAF, the thing is to make up your mind then go for it.
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Ive had a look through the brochure and Im interested in the folloswing -

Photographer
Ariel Erector
Fire Fighter
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Go for it Chris. I`m 23 and just going for the RM. I think its the perfect time to start a military career. You have the maturity and life experience, plus you wont be thinking that the grass is greener on the otherside as you have already been there and done that.

Good luck.
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Thanks for your reply's guys.

This question may seem rather premature as ive not even joined yet, but on leaving armed services, are there plenty of opatunites in the outside world ?. From what I can see it's very important to choose the right trade etc, so you have secruity on leaving.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Again it depends on your trade, and on what opportunities are available
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Does anybody know where I can obtain any practice tests on cd-rom for the RAF.
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

I don't know of a CD, but there are some on this website

http://www.freewebs.com/alexb1985/

Enjoy!
Lynx4

Post by Lynx4 »

When i went to the AFCO and talked to the RAF, they gave me a "workbook" type thing i gues you could call it that...

Anyway, it had those examples in it and a answer sheet so you could mark down your answer and check it at the end to see what you need to work on.

"Joining The RAF"
"Your Next Steps"

Thats whats on the front cover, ask for it at the AFCO and im sure someone would give you the booklet. Some other information in there to about interviews and things.
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Go for it Chris.

My other half joined the Army at 23 and had the knowledge that a normal 9-5 just was never going to be enough for him and he's never looked back. Whereas, a fair few of the younger lads have left or are leaving because they think the grass is greener on the other side. It's a shame if they regret that decision in the future but if being in the Forces is all they've known it's easy to think life is better out of it, I guess.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Sara :)
Waiting for my rocket to come.
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

The fitness test you take before joining, it says you have to go to a gym and get an instructor to record your time.

Basically all the Gym's near me were council run but have now been bought by a private company who charge riduclous prices.

To even step in the places I have to pay £50 fee, then £32 a month, Ive been made redundent so money is tight. Just worried as to what to do.