Share This Page:

Just a question.

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
Jeg

Just a question.

Post by Jeg »

Now I am not in the Military and I do not suffer from PTSD.

But I am currently considering a career in the Armed Forces; and one of the things putting me off, is the chance of developing PTSD. I don't want anyone to say, well if you really wanted to join you wouldn't worry about it, or anything silly like that, as after reading the posts in this forum, like everyone, I would not want to go through what some people have experienced.

Does anyone know the percentage of people in the Military who develop PTSD?

Thanks, John.
Artist

Post by Artist »

More people in Civvy Street suffer from PTSD than people in the forces.

Bus Crash, Car Crash, Witnessing a fatal accident. Anything can set it off. So either accept that you might see summut nasty whilst serving or don't serve.

Artist
Jeg

Post by Jeg »

Thanks Art.

I figured as much, like when people say that I could get shot in the army, just as much as me being hit by a bus.

Just nice to have another point of view.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Thanks Art :o

Statistics show that Artist is probably correct. In terms of numbers.
There are significant differances however between the trauma caused by witnessing a traffic accident and severe PTSD caused by repeated exposure to severe traumatic situations.
The class action currently going through the courts has galvanised the MOD and the threat of huge compensation payouts is causing a sea change that is long overdue.
Royal Marines intend to be/ in fact they are, the "best practitioners" of Trauma Risk Management within HM Forces. People are finally waking up.
In the end it is your choice. PTSD is predictable in percentage terms. What has angered this Member is that it is also preventable.
What was lacking was the will. Read the stuff on here.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Doc

Post by Doc »

PTSD, in relation to the forces specifically is two fold. Civilian management of PTSD has been progressive whilst in the military it was largely ignored. Times and attitudes are changing for the better.

In times of old (and not that far in the past) it was percieved to be a sign of weakness to suffer mental stress after trauma or witnessing traumatic events. Have a beer and wise up was the attitude. Disorders went undiagnosed or mis-diagnosed, and aswell as suffering from the intial trauma, sufferers also suffered further mental damage from the lack of help and ignorance. Often resulting in isolation and a loss of faith in senior ranks and the forces/MOD/country. This loss of faith further resulted in a "breach of honour" that left sufferers further traumatised.

Imagine breaking a leg and no-one giving a shit! you struggle with the pain of the break and the indignity of no-one giving a shit after you have put your neck on the line.

Like my learned colleagues have mentioned attitudes have changed and awarness of PTSD and subsequent treatments are improving. Now the "broken leg" is identified and treated as soon as possible after the event and this is the optimal time to address pysch problems.

Seeing that the MOD's attitude has changed and indivdual units are addressing the problem makes a sufferer more inclined to come foward seeking help, therefore preventing the "breach of honour" aspect of PTSD.

People from all walks of life face traumatic events, but few are sent into occassions when the chances of seeing trauma is as increased as service people being sent to war. PTSD is therefore "preventable" in such a way that the signs and symptoms can be instructed to service people so that if it happens it can be identified and treated. Post deployment opportunities to debrief and counsel people are of immense importance and help.

The stigma is being diminished, and the whole cycle of events/identification/treatment is being better thought about and instigated.

In the words of a great man from this forum who helped me "PTSD is also like flu, how one person reacts to an incident will differ from another. Flu may knock me for six but just give another person a sniffle. Same with PTSD, or the event/s that trigger it"

Dont look at the downsides of joining up, and on "maybes", even though Im a sufferer, still doesnt mean I wouldnt have joined up and done the things I have done if given the chance to turn back the clock. Theres a hell of alot more great times and memories than the times spent dribbling.

And like has been said before, anyone can suffer from it. Important thing to remember is that now attitudes have changed and your more likely to come out of a traumatice event better supported and if need be treated in the forces than in civvy strasse. Most of whats on here is from people who suffer from a time when the MOD had its head buried in the sand. Things still arent great, but are vastly improved. My new shrink is a plank, but my GP who I saw today is a great egg and just lets me ramble on. Seeing new shrink tomorrow, who is ex army (navy would have been great but Im taking some deodrant and a book on jack speak so Perc sorts himself out before we get down to the bean bags!)

Good luck and if you do end up loosing your marbles then just think of all the free tea and biccies! Every cloud etc etc. :lol:
Jeg

Post by Jeg »

Thanks alot Doc.

Long but you make it fun to read.