Share This Page:

What do you do at the end of it all (9/22 years)

General chat about Military Finance, Pensions, etc.
Mike

What do you do at the end of it all (9/22 years)

Post by Mike »

There must be many servicemen who, on approaching the end of their service career, must think what next?
In my case, I visited the usual Pussers resettlement office and took part in a resettlement course, sorry seminar! At the end of the day some Chief Petty officer, who quite honestly had not even had the decency to look at my file, suggested I applied for some sort of desk job with the local council, he said that they were crying out for men of my caliber! :o

I just laughed, stood up and gave him two fingers to his face and said that I was sorry for waisting his precious time and walked out. I had, in fact already worked out what I was doing and where I was going.
I walked out of Eastney Gates and within 4 months I was a member of HM Coastguards.
The second career I had chosen has changed beyond all recognition, today its high tech comms and equipment, 12 hour shifts, two days, two nights, four days off (42 Hr week)... Unlike the other emergency services, we initiate and co-ordinate all incidents our selves, on or around our coast and out to 1000 mile of the atlantic, in-fact MRCC Falmouth is able to co-ordinate world wide if required.
In depth training is given at all new entries, be that Coastguard watch Assistants (CWA) or Watch Officers(WO), we have our own training school in Dorset and also train other countries personnel.
There are a number of ex Royals in the service, most noticeable is John Astbtry the Chief Coastguard who had come through the ranks.
Further info can be obtained from the MCA website

Addendum: The pay is not as good as yr average Copper, Sooty, or Blood bosu'n... but we do get to live and work in some of the most beautiful parts of the country.......can't be bad
Last edited by Mike on Tue 10 Jun, 2003 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Sounds a worthwhile second career Mike.

Had a similar experience with my resettlement. An Army Major from the education Corps suggested I aim for a desk job with a salary level of about 8k a year and be grateful if I could attain it, this was in '96. He received a similar response from me that you gave the CPO!

Modesty prohibits the salary I negotiated for my second career but it was a lot more than the 8K he suggested. Basically you have to sort it yourself when you leave.
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Sign on again! I have another 5 years thanks to the wonderful chappies and chappesses at MOD! Thank you... off to polish me cap badge again :wink:
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Wully

Post by Wully »

Hi Mike just caught up with this thread. When my 22 was up and I left thre Corps I went straight into the Merchant Navy. Had been in the Merchant Navy for about two years and was on a ship in Antwerp ready to sail for Auistralia. Got an urgent phone call from the wife saying that Ken Johnston (was C/Sgt in the Workshops early seventies, sadly now dead) who was out in the Middle East wanted to speak top me urgently. Phoned Ken and he said there was a job going in the Company he was working for and he felt sure I could do it standing on my head!!! Needless to say I left the ship the next day and within the week I was on my way to Dubai. It was the best move I ever made and I spent a happy and lucrative twenty years there. It enable me to retire early and enjoy glorious Devon :wink:
Wully
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Addendum: The pay is not as good as yr average Copper, Sooty, or Blood bosu'n... but we do get to live and work in some of the most beautiful parts of the country.......can't be bad
So that would be the Isle of Anglesey, the sticky out bit at the top left of N Wales, where the Irish Sea allows hurricane force winds to rip the fleece off sheep and devastate the sailing programme for Stena Ferries. Or is that another Anglesey? :lol:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
always go commando

Post by always go commando »

I don't know anyone who has done the full 22 years, but do you all start private pensions because I’ve heard military pensions are stupidly low considering who spend 22 years destroying your body.
I know a large majority of ex-service men go into security type jobs and spend the rest of their lives reminiscing about the good old days when security meant a bloody big rifle. what other prospects are there for someone who doesn't want to do a 22 year stint.
stuck in a rut, unsure about the future, unsure about the military lifestyle, for a while anyway
always go commando

Post by always go commando »

i've just posted and i really don't care what the answer to my question was, i have years to think about it. sorry
stuck in a rut, unsure about the future, unsure about the military lifestyle, for a while anyway
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Always Go... well I'm your first in that case... 22 down and 5 more to go, 23 years in all so far in September this year. You can now make voluntary contributions to your service pension... I would strongly advise anyone joining now to do it as soon as they sign on.
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
gash-hand

Post by gash-hand »

I think you'll find the military pension is still regarded as one of the best best pension schemes in the country. Considering you don't have to make any payments into it, unless you want to make additionl voluntary contributions to top it up - incidentially offficers have always been allowed to do this but its only just become common knoweldge for ranks to do the same - disgraceful.

It might also be worth bearing in mind that it is fully transferrable to any of the civil service pension schemes (they are one and the same really anyway), so if you did a few years then joined the police, fire service, etc you can take your pension with you - handy.
Nuisance
Big Boys Rules

22 years

Post by Big Boys Rules »

I have just been told by a WO that as of 2007 the Army is to make changes regarding the whole 22 year thing. At the moment they are still fannying about with continuance which is as fickle as your average officer, is a rip off and a terrible thing to do to men who should be starting a second career the sooner the better instead of being tempted by two years at a time.
I have been told that as of 2007 the terms that we serve under are being changed to match the RAF and the Navy so that you will be able to serve longer. About time considering that the pension is based on 22/35ths a bit harsh if you cant serve the full 35 without taking a commission, but also have been told that it is being kept as quiet as possible for as long as possible because those in power dont want a manning crisis when people decide to stay in and promotion slows.
I have had no confirmation of this but am looking forward to finding out one way or another as this is the only thing giving me pause for thought before I tell them to poke it and get out.
My equivalent job in civvy street pays double what I'm earning, they're obviously going to want me aren't they...lol
stever

Post by stever »

my experience is probably typical

did a hgv1 course prior to leaving raf
failed that :oops:

not much good anyway if i did the catch 22 no experience no job

had a horrible 11months signing on the dole

finally got a job in a country park...worked there for bout a year

then applied and got a job with the police as a civvy in a control room

i have heard some horror stories from lads i have met at reunions re-settlement courses being cancelled due to "operational" comittments

what tosh !!!

god knows what lads and lasses nowadays get re-settlement wise

i must say i only did 9 yrs nearly 10 when you count 11months for the queen

it wasnt so bad for me after 9 yrs but after 22 yrs it would be a shock getting out

even if you have rank when you leave it counts for naff all in civvy street

this is no slagging for people leaving

its just an observation after bitter experience

:(
"Once a Rockape Always a Rockape"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/camsig0qi.jpg[/img][/url]