Share This Page:

Yomp30 2004

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.

June 2004?

Yes
63%
No
2%
Only if Loz turns up this time!
34%

Total votes: 41

El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Quick update. Okehampton have agreed in principle to allow us use of the accomodation etc as last year. Unfortunately this coincides with a takeover of the Army Estates by a new management/sports company. Consequently approval and costing is being held up until the i and t's have been crossed within the civvy company. Basically a fair bit will have to be done at shorter notice than we would normally like, but it's out of our control.
Colin has asked for people to hold back on sending cheques etc to him as he cannot cash them until he has the go ahead from the CO at Okehampton. He hopes this will be within the next couple of weeks. your patience is appreciated. Ta
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
ratso

Post by ratso »

I have to ring the Col of Okehampton at 08.45 on Monday for full sit rep on the Accom and dates.

He is in a meeting with those in the know and aims to put them on the carpet with regards to their not having given us an answer yet.

Will update as soon as I know.
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
ratso

Post by ratso »

We have 94 beds at Okehampton though nearly half are spoken for already.
So if you want to take part get the forms and cheque back ASAP.

Post by Guest »

Just a warning order, that i may not be doing the Yomp after all. So the kind people who offered to sponsor me, you may be saved yet.
ratso

Post by ratso »

WARNING ORDER![/color]

Places are going FAST so if you intend taking part you need to get your application in ASAP.

I can be contacted on 01833 640501

or go to the web site for the forms www.yomp30.co.uk

Payment for the weekend is now due for those who have already sent in applications.
SYB

Post by SYB »

The application is in and training is under way.
Just spent all day (Saturday) in the Pub with my oppo from training... Only just recovering :oops:
Took a while.... but hes coming along now :wink: and we are picking Si up on the way..

Talking of which I hope your OK now Si. Stay off that bike until the end of July?

Dont forget to get your bids in...........

regards
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

SYB wrote:Talking of which I hope your OK now Si. Stay off that bike until the end of July?regards

Back to normal more or less, just the Whiplash claim going through.
Getting back on bike No 2 tonight.

See you in July
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Once....................... Always...tup, three
ratso

Post by ratso »

YOMP TO NOWHERE!
I was hoping to have good news by this time with everything in place, but thats not the case.
I have had confirmation that beds are available but still no costings and civvie contract. Though it has been promised by tomorrow.

We have 38 on the list with 21 having paid, no where near what I have asked accom for (94) which is very dissapointing. The numbers are too low for coach hire for the return to Okehampton and we have had very few support staff coming forward. Without this ellement we are looking at a situation where it would be unwise to proceed.

It is only weeks away and I am very tired with all the chew on sorting out the Accom which has taken over eight months from first contact. I am having to go back into discussions ref the lower numbers as if I book beds we now get charged for them.

At this point in time I feel that there are four choices,

1. Someone take over from myself. Please!
2. hope we get more support by the begining of June. If not cancel
3. Put the event off till September
4. Cancel altogether and hope that we can salvage it next year.

I have to say that I am disapointed with the turn out and support for what was a great weekend last year.
flo

Post by flo »

Ratso,
I have had no reply from tricky trev as to whether he will be coming this year. But if jed is home then I promise you we will be there (he's not to bad at map reading neither). At this end everything is up in arms because the army dont know whether they are coming or going. But we have camped on okehampton before and we may well do so again. I am writing to Sixth Sense the army newspaper for BFG to drum up support for the event and will let you know as soon as i kick some A**. I will PM my phone number too you. Speak soon

fiona xx
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

From my point of view, if it is postponed until Sept, can I have as much notice as possible?? I need to book time off work.
How about sending out a flyer or some other such thing to all the RMA unit`s dotted around the country??

Ratso mate, speak to WOII Simon Wright at CTC. He`s the Corps PR bod.
Mention my name...he owes me a favour, I dragged him through training :lol:
Once....................... Always...tup, three
SYB

Post by SYB »

Come on guys and girls we have to pull together to get this going.
Its not feasable for Ratso to keep chasing and ringing people.
Last year was a great success and lots of people came away with big buzz.

If you cant make the walk why not help as backup?
It would be a great shame if we had to postpone/cancel the event...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

I'll see if I can get a pusser's tilley for running around in as soon as I know what is going on at work. Failing that I can try and get one from CTC if they are up for it. I'll confirm as soon as I know anything.
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Depending on the date,and seeing that I could not make last years 'Yomp' and at the moment only firing on one leg? I would like to offer my services on the back up side of events,and would be willing to put towards the cost of hiring a mini-bus.Aye jr :wink:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
flo

Post by flo »

If it is to go ahead in September, then myself and Jed will be over in the Uk anyway. We have a seven seater 4x4 if that would help with transport.
Brian E

Yomp 30

Post by Brian E »

Nice to see some positive responses to Ratso plea for help.
I have my name down and paid, but I think the middle of July probably hits on a lot of peoples annual holiday.
Last weekend I did a 26 mile walk thro' Kielder Forest and the backup and support was first class, and demonstrated how vital this is to the whole operation.
To cancel this years event will make it very difficult to get off the ground next year.
Better in my opinion to put off to September, if July becomes a no go.
We need a team to organise this event, and as I live within 50 miles of Ratso I'm prepared to help. However I'm out of the UK all of June!!! Hence not much I can do for July, but if it goes to September I will be able to devote some time to the organisation.

Brian E
Brian Easton