Share This Page:

Heredity and ptsd

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
dootybooty

Heredity and ptsd

Post by dootybooty »

A thought I had in the early hours this morning. Does anyone think there might be a geanealocial predisposition to PTSD. Both of my Grandfathers were badly wounded in WW1, my paternal grandfather drank himself to death, and the maternal one reverted to his time in the trenches in his 70's,he was in The Special Brigade Royal Engineers, (went around gassing Germans)
My father was a Bootie through WW11 LC coxain, sunk at Normandy and Walchren, wounded with 34th Btn later. He threw a wobbly in his late forties which the docs put down to his wartime experiences.
I just wondered if any of you guys had parents who had suffered as well.
Might be interesting to find out.
Keep the faith.
Kanadiana

Re: Heredity and ptsd

Post by Kanadiana »

dootybooty wrote:A thought I had in the early hours this morning. Does anyone think there might be a geanealocial predisposition to PTSD. Both of my Grandfathers were badly wounded in WW1, my paternal grandfather drank himself to death, and the maternal one reverted to his time in the trenches in his 70's,he was in The Special Brigade Royal Engineers, (went around gassing Germans)
My father was a Bootie through WW11 LC coxain, sunk at Normandy and Walchren, wounded with 34th Btn later. He threw a wobbly in his late forties which the docs put down to his wartime experiences.
I just wondered if any of you guys had parents who had suffered as well.
Might be interesting to find out.
Hi DootyBooty :) Glad to meet you... but sorry if you're having to go through any of the "wobblies" (I kinda like that description! :) )

I'm not military... my problems related to bad life expereinces, many that I had total amnesia about until I was about 35 ... then ka-thump!

About ptsd and "genetic predisposition" ... I dunno, but I suspect there is an inherited brain/physiological sensitivity to stressand/or trauma... but I'm also thinking that theres a very fine line between nature and nurture for some aspects.

Meaning ... I think some aspects may be about "learned reaction and coping response"

Stuff it. Tough it out. Suck it up. Dissociate. Forget it. Deny it has impact. A tendency to "repression" but with a "defective repressive mechanism" ... meaning, repression only works for so long until something else "happens and triggers" ... delayed reaction.

Sometimes I think about the horrors we stuff and that the upchuck is about "get thee out of me and get thee behind me" as a sort of natural necessary purging.

There is certainly a tendency to ptsd in my relations when traumatized!!!!

I read a really neat little saying once, I forget where, but it goes like this:

"Suffering is not good for the soul unless it teaches the soul how to stop suffering."

Well ... let us ALL learnhow to stop suffering ... together gets us there faster :)

Karmen