Share This Page:

Mine Warfare

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
jockladfaejockland

Mine Warfare

Post by jockladfaejockland »

Hi ladies and Gents,
I am approaching the end of my course in Collingwood as an MW or mine warfare and if anybody has any questions about the navy or a branch in particular drop me a line and I will answer it truthfully or just wing it :) anyway take care.
Nobby. :D
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...
TAFFY

Post by TAFFY »

I was wondering if you know anything about the Air Engineer Technician (AET) trade ??. I am keen to know if the promtional opportunities are actually as good as they make out on the RN website, as it says you can be selected for fast track promotion to petty officer within this trade & that even if you don't make the fast track programme there's a possibility of getting promoted to petty officer some 6 months after the fast track candidates. Also, due to the availability of accelerated promotion, is there stiff competition for this trade ?? & is it more difficult to get into than other trades ??. Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Skimmer Tw£t :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a submarine not a f*cking tambourine !
TAFFY

Post by TAFFY »

Skimmer tw£t ??, not sure I follow pal. If you haven't got anything helpful to say, don't say anything at all.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Taffy my comment wasn't aimed at you, its what in the forces is generally called banter. Jock was previously training to be a submariner (which I was for 6 years) through no fault of his own it went pear shaped and he ended up going (general service) skimmers I was merely poking fun at his predicament as us ex service (and indeed current service people) people are prone to do. So my apologies if you were somewhat affronted. However before jumping in with both feet it might be worth checking someones posting history. Like I say I was in the Royal Navy for 6 years between 1994 and 2000 unfortunatley I cant answer the question you asked, but if there's anything else you want to know give me a shout. I dont want this to come across as condasending but if your serious about the forces you need to get used to banter.

Edited about 20 times due to bad spelling which is still probably badly spelt.
Last edited by OMSSMretd on Thu 23 Feb, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derrenfixxxer

Post by derrenfixxxer »

AET Taff? Thats what I put as my first choice on my application. So you never know we may train together.
jockladfaejockland

Taff the AET branch is a fast track promotion branch but you don't do much sea time you do a lot alongside in RAF bases or places like Culdrose the question you wanna ask is if you wanna do a lot of sea time or not if you do avoid it and go for MEM or ET if not crack on mate it is a good branch and the civvy quals are awesome but OMSS is right skimmer twat :D kiddin :D

OMSS miss the crack on boats but have found small ships to be just as good for the banter and the comeradeship (for want of a better word) is there just like on boats I think that is lost on the bigger ships. Take care. Nobby.

I'll get me coat...
TAFFY

Post by TAFFY »

Apologies OMSSMretd, if I had known it wasn't directed at me I would never have reacted in that way, so sorry about that. Alright Derrenfixxxer, I like you are very interested in the AET trade. I've actually done the initial written test because originally I was going to have a crack at RM. Since then I've had a change of heart & decided that AET would be a good career. I was told by the AFCO that my scores were good enough to try for the extra maths test that you have to do to be accepted into the trade. I'm currently waiting on my final interview results for the fire brigade & if successful will obviously go for that because I've been working hard since October to try & get in. However, if I'm not successful then I'm seriously going to think about the Navy as a career & the AET trade. Having read up on the trade on the Navy website the career prospects & promotional opportunities seem excellent which is very important for me being the ripe old age of 27.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

No worries mate :wink:. There is a certain amount of friendly rivalry between surface fleet, submarines, and FAA. obviously everyone knows submariners are gods perfect creation and that wafu's ( FAA) drink shandy. However skimmers (surface fleet) get a lot of flack generally because there not as well paid which when you think about it is not very fair. :o
derrenfixxxer

Post by derrenfixxxer »

TAFFY wrote:Apologies OMSSMretd, if I had known it wasn't directed at me I would never have reacted in that way, so sorry about that. Alright Derrenfixxxer, I like you are very interested in the AET trade. I've actually done the initial written test because originally I was going to have a crack at RM. Since then I've had a change of heart & decided that AET would be a good career. I was told by the AFCO that my scores were good enough to try for the extra maths test that you have to do to be accepted into the trade. I'm currently waiting on my final interview results for the fire brigade & if successful will obviously go for that because I've been working hard since October to try & get in. However, if I'm not successful then I'm seriously going to think about the Navy as a career & the AET trade. Having read up on the trade on the Navy website the career prospects & promotional opportunities seem excellent which is very important for me being the ripe old age of 27.
I'm 25 so not that far behind you! My tests are on the 24th of March, any idea what the pass marks are for AET on the basic and maths tests?
TAFFY

Post by TAFFY »

Cool, that makes me feel abit better. I'm not sure on the exact scores needed to be honest, but I think it has been mentioned before on one of the previous threads. Don't quote me, but if I'm not mistaken, I think the initial test is out of 120 & you need 80+, as I said I'm not 100%, and I'm not sure as to what the pass mark is for the secondary maths test. I know that's abit vague but the AFCO will be able to tell you for sure. If I'm not successful with the fire brigade I would be looking to try & get in asap, ideally before the end of the year.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

TAFFY wrote:I was wondering if you know anything about the Air Engineer Technician (AET) trade ??. I am keen to know if the promtional opportunities are actually as good as they make out on the RN website, as it says you can be selected for fast track promotion to petty officer within this trade & that even if you don't make the fast track programme there's a possibility of getting promoted to petty officer some 6 months after the fast track candidates. Also, due to the availability of accelerated promotion, is there stiff competition for this trade ?? & is it more difficult to get into than other trades ??. Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.
The fleet are short on junior rates so they are looking for people for fast track promotion..People are getting to leading hand and then just leaving, so yeh promotion can be good. My mate AETs said they've been told promotion there is good too..
Ha, MW jock, still happy with that? i was in Collingwood for a few weeks as OM(W) got my transfer to go be a NA(AH) off to Culdrose now :wink:
jockladfaejockland

lucky you Winnie! now you know they don't call it collingrad for nothing! we have to pay them :D

how is culdrose and what in the name o the big man is NA(AH) I really dinnae ken.

Aircraft Handler? are you a WAFU?

I'll get me coat...