Share This Page:

3rd week at ITC Catterick

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

get some trips out in the field under your belt before you decide to jack. soldiering isnt about how well your boots are shining and how good you make your pit or iron your clothes. its about warring up and giving it some when your getting spooked by charley :o dont bail out because some bloke with two stripes is shouting at you. you will be just another joe going through the grinder to him, but if you bail you will be missing out on why you wanted to join up for.
'Every man an Emperor'
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

It dosnt really matter what we all say at the end of the day It's down to you and you alone. What ever choice you make I hope it works out for you pal.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Its just totally not for me, not enjoying any of it its just making me depressed. I Did intro ex 1 etc and im at home now because we just had parents day. Handing my DAOR in tomorrow just hope they dont mess me about, 6 days of being here i had tonsilitus and about 11 days in my migranes started coming (i used to suffer with them) and its just totally not for me, thanks for the encouraging words guys but honestly i cant stand being there anymore. Any questions ill answer as soon as i get computer access. Thanks again.
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Fair enough, you not fancy transfering to somewhere else? Maybe somewhere a little less intense
J.Fazza

Post by J.Fazza »

Alright mate. Sorry to hear that. It's not for everybody. What were the first few weeks like? As in, what you had to do? Was it quite intense? Cheers mate
BARB - 71
Medicals - Passed
Interviews - Passed
ADSC- Passed
Chosen regiment - The Parachute Regiment
Start depot - July 12th
insushin

Post by insushin »

Yeah I'd like to know as well, what were the first weeks like, what was the furthest run you did and everything else you can tell us.

Good luck with your DAOR and whatever you pursue in the future.
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

you can't have done the real good stuff in the first few weeks. I'm in the ta not the regs, but i suppose the ta selection is a day of beasting to weed out the real mongies who just wanted a doss at the weekend, we didn't really learn anything at the selection weekend (why should you, it's an assessment) but when i was sitting there at the end of sunday with feet feeling like they're on fire i thought stuff this, but after a re-think I thought i can't make this decision yet i need to start learning some decent stuff.
People are mentioning it gets better after 6 weeks, they maybe right it may take that long to get all the d*ckeads out. I'd say go and speak to the welfare people. Just remember that you to go through all the shit before you get to decent stuff the stuff you wanted to do when you signed.
I'm applying for regs and going for RA or RHA and i know i probably won't like the basic training as the infantry side of soldiering doesn't excite me a great deal but what you get after it's got to be worth it, hasn't it?
But hey it's up to you what you do and maybe i'm just being niave.
BARB: PASSED; 76
BASIC SKILLS: PASSED
Interview 1: PASSED 04/03/09
Interview 2: waiting
Wanting to join the Royal Artillery as Gunner UAV Operator.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Well if you are that unhappy then it is best that you leave now rather than get stuck in for years and wind up having an accident with a loaded gun
druadan

Post by druadan »

Training as a whole is crap. The initial bit's even worse. It's the job and the prosepects at the end that makes it worthwhile. If you haven't got the strength of mind to make it through those first mind-numbing weeks that are designed to do no more than test your ability to follow instruction and deal with a tiny bit of pressure then you ain't gonna last a minute when it actually matters.

It's not for everyone; at least you decided to give it a try before deciding it wasn't for you.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

adamb

It's your right to leave, the forces really don’t need or want men or woman if their hearts are not really in it. However three weeks is not really giving it a fair crack in my opinion.

Some of the jobs I have had after the Army I hated but grew to like them.
I use to work on a refinery plant with lots of company. Now I work in the control room of a solvent plant on my own. I hated the isolation at first but now prefer it.

Its your right to leave but don’t regret it because you did not give it a fair chance.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
just_me

Post by just_me »

AdamB. From what have heard from many is that the first 6 weeks are the worst. Obviously I can't back this up with personal experience but you may as well consider waiting for another few weeks before decding out.

If you really dislike it then, then you know your answer but the last thing you want is to regret leaving so early on in training.
flighty

Post by flighty »

Brave decision. And even braver to post that decision on here. Good on you!

Jayne .
adamb

Post by adamb »

Week 6 now, week 7 on Monday and im still in the process of leaving lol. Just passed drill test yesterday, earned the beret and steeple belt and got our long weekend. Still stuck to my opinion though just got to put effort in so they will see im willing to work hard in order to leave. Had Intro ex 3 last week and it was quite hellish, passed the OC's inspection. Week 5 and 6 you wont get much sleep, Intro ex 3 you dont get much sleep, you learn fire and manouvre and bearings etc then theres prepping for OC's inspection, if your unlucky you may have a 4.5 mile tab day before OC inspection like we did. First week is kinda boring, paperwork, medicals, kit issuing. 2nd week start PT, rifle lessons, intro ex etc. Week 3 same as week 2 but more intense, also a weapon handling test and intro ex 2. Week 4 you should of learnt most drill movements and towards end of week will be prepping for parents day. Week 5 intro ex 3 and DCCT(Laser Ranges), Week 6 live firing, drill test and BCD Test (battlefield casualty). Then your long weekend.

We started with 52, 2 got UFAST 2 weeks ago leaving us with 50. 1 person got backsquadded into our platoon making it 51 and theres still 51 of us at the minute, everyone passed drill test too. On the subject of free time, you dont get much its all fast paced and long days but the 6 weeks goes fast. Any more questions just ask.
J.Fazza

Post by J.Fazza »

What does UFAST mean mate?
BARB - 71
Medicals - Passed
Interviews - Passed
ADSC- Passed
Chosen regiment - The Parachute Regiment
Start depot - July 12th
adamb

Post by adamb »

Unfit For Army Service ( Not sure if its UFAS or UFAST )