Share This Page:

Boot bulling.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
jstagg

Boot bulling.

Post by jstagg »

This is something I've always found interesting, how do they get them so shiny? and what techniques are there to doing it (in the army.)
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Rollinstone

Post by Rollinstone »

I find bulling my boots easiest when watching telly or listening to music, the trick is little and often, wet a cloth and rub it on the polish then rub it on the boot in very tiny circles, wet cloth rub on polish rub on boot tiny circles, over and over again, don't put a thick layer on then use a polishing cloth to remove the polish and repeat again and again. Kiwi polish is the best to use or so ive been told.
druadan

Post by druadan »

What he said, but using cotton wool balls. Fill the lid of your polish tin with water, wet the wool, polish, circles, wet, circles, wet, circles, til they start to come shiney, then a little more polish...repeat, for hours...

Then pass out, and pay the tailor £15 to have them bulled properly with some hoofing rubbery stuff that scratches just rub out of :wink:

But then, don't Perce have to make their normal boots all shiney as well as their drill stuff? Threaders...28 weeks of bulling your field boots...nice :roll:

Holes or digs in your layers can be filled by melting a little polish into them...just be careful not to heat it too much, as the fumes will happily ignite, causing you to throw the tin/spoon across the grot, setting fire to the carpet and setting off the smoke alarm, then leaving you to explain to the OC what exactly you were doing... :oops: :roll:
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Cool nice advice, I'm joining the 1st rifles light infantry, don't I get parade boots and field boots? hope so because I can see bulling field boots that are more likely to be fu*ked than fu*kable annoying.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Absolutely no idea, you just always see Perce with nice shiney boots on...
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Balls, we're just halfway competent at brush polishing the things, so to the untrained bootneck eye it might be assumed they were bulled...:roll:

One of the bullshittier aspects of the Army, and one I certainly won't be arsed with in 16 weeks time. Stagg, you should get parade & field boots issued, and possibly drill boots (more like horseshoes than boots) if you are unlucky. Technique to bulling is:

1 Layer with polish (rub in a layer with fingers until matt black), leave overnight.

2 Brush polish off

3 Take Selvyt cloth (old and worn, or brush it too first), wet it, ring it out, put a dab of polish on, then start rubbing it in. First quite vigourously until you get some kind of shine, then as Rollinstone described, small circles. Don't tickle it, rub with medium pressure. Keep doing this for far too long (sessions can take hours). If the boots are new, you will need to repeat steps 1-3 a few times.

4 Once the boots are shiny, you need to finish off the shine. Get cotton wool, soak it completely under a running tap, then hold the boot caps etc under the tap and rub them hard with the wet wool. DON'T use dry anything on them. Do this for the entire bulled part of the boot, it removes the smudging that bulling produces. Once done, run the bootcap under the tap to get all the water drops off, then squeeze out the cotton wool and use it to dab all remaining water drops off the boot....and you're done.

After every time you have used the boots, you have to repeat 1-4. The thinner the layer you put on, generally the quicker it will be to get back to the end of stage 4.

Believe it or not, that is only a short introduction to bulling, find a Guardsman sometime and they will bore the shit out of you about it, or preferably don't. I would happily ignore all this crap myself, but such are the joys of having two Grenadier CSgts at Sandhurst. Hopefully, as a Rifleman, you will find they aren't too bothered by bulling.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Thanks for the advice fellas it's all on board!!!!
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

Come on Sarastro you know that every unit has to have their drill boots bulled. I actually find it quite theraputic, dvd, pizza, etc!

Field boots and normal combat boots dont have to be bulled. Just clean and brush polished so that you look smart and soldier like.

And what the hell is the 1st Rifles Light Infantry when its at home?
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

bigdog wrote:Come on Sarastro you know that every unit has to have their drill boots bulled. I actually find it quite theraputic, dvd, pizza, etc!

Field boots and normal combat boots dont have to be bulled. Just clean and brush polished so that you look smart and soldier like.

And what the hell is the 1st Rifles Light Infantry when its at home?

1st rifles light infantry at home.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

All the above. I however would never advise using the yellow dust type. (If they are still sold in the base shop.)
Try nice clean cotton, like an old t-shirt, white if possible the less colour the better I always found.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

This guy gives a mega demo of how to bull boots.

You gotta love the music and A-10s at the start! :) Then after all that excitement it goes into.....boot shining. :roll:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDKBSQ3N ... re=related
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
flighty

Post by flighty »

:o

My Homer Simpson slippers won't know what's hit them.

Sad, sad man :cry:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

You too Huh?
Mine have"Duff Beer"On the toes.

DOH!!!!! :D