Share This Page:

Sigs Reunion!!!!!!!

Rekindle old friendships, reunite with lost & found.
Frede Seaman

Sigs Reunion!!!!!!!

Post by Frede Seaman »

Can any serving or ex signaller confirm or deny if 2004 reunion is still going to happen either at Lympstone or any other place in the British Isles.
Rumours and Buzzes will be accepted.
Fred Seaman
barryc

Post by barryc »

What's wrong Fred, only just over a year has passed and you're getting thirsty again? I know the original poll brought the response that once every two years was OK but I agree, it does seem a hell of a long time since last year's sigs/tels reunion. Quite enjoyed the free beer on the top field and noting how much younger and dashing I looked than the rest of you old men. Frightening though the way time passes, I had promised to get together for a wet or three with Mr Reeves, and in no time at all 12 months have past and I still seem to be up to my neck in things to do. Also said I will have a drink with Sully, in London, Murphy in Sussex and Archie in Hants. I WILL make sure that |I do.

Barry
BC
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

.... --- .--. . / -.-- --- ..- / .... .- ...- . / .- / .-- --- -. -.. . .-. ..-. ..- .-.. / - .. -- . / .-.. .- -.. ...

:D
barryc

Post by barryc »

If we ever get around to it we will ensure that we will, thanks for the good wishes contractor, although after 30 odd years I had to work for them. I always thought it was something I would never forget, although with the exception of a period on a rear link net my speed was always a bit slow. We had one team in Biawak in Borneo that had to try for a team effort after night fell and we switched over to CW (TG to the R Sigs). " Did anybody get the third word?" etc. Morse was something that required constant practice to stay on top of, well it did in my case.

Will be happy to report that a good time was had by all.

Barry
BC
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Hey man, Fred, I've been taking it for granted that there would be a
Reunion in 2004 - they promised !

I heard that the venue might be Lympstone or perhaps Poole but never - - ever - that it might be slated.......

I shall worry now until a positive signal comes up here ....

My squaddies and I have already discussed the 'where and how' before the Reunion - there has to be one - right ?

It's hard enough waiting for the fifty year jubilee for 654 squad (2006) without the added pressure of missing out on the Sigs bash.

Fingers crossed for a rapid reaction.... If there's anyone home that is ....

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Paddy Nye

Sigs Reunion

Post by Paddy Nye »

Enough of the jokes everyone!. This is SERIOUS. At the last Bash we were given the impression that CTC would be too busy to host us again NEXT YEAR and didn't want us again. And so they wouldn"t if their recruit entrance projections are correct and we have the Reunion at the same time as the last one when training was still in progress. Previously we had our meetings just after all trainees had gone on Summer leave and we relied on local resident Sigs personnel to give up a couple of days for us. They enjoyed it. We enjoyed it. So what's the problem CTC? We'd HATE to inconvenience you and if it comes to it I'm sure we'd all willingly pay extra for the NAAFI and remaining Galley guys for their services.
CTC , want it or not, is the home of us Sigs. We don't want to go anywhere else. Lets start lobbying the powers that be, present Sigs, Ex Sigs Officers etc, Anyone with some influence to let us have our Reunion AT HOME.
Dipole
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Hey man Paddy hinny -

We did ours at Eastney - but there again I hear that The place is no longer the same..... Museum I've heard - I'm next methinks......

Morse by the lamp - out in the car park - blocks of five letters. No good
asking "Did you get the last word" - Lt.Pringle.... and a great crew of
patient instructors.....

Lympstone would appear to be the most central venue for the majority of
Sigs - Most of you seem to have settled down in the land of Elvis !
( I have to turn left at Newcastle ).

Hope for an early confirmation - At least in the event that we have to salvage somewhere else...

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Val

Post by Val »

Listen, I have just gone to considerable trouble - not to mention ennormous expense - to give up my day job and move back to sunny Devon.

So don't tell me now that there's any doubt over the next reunion!

But seriously, is the venue that important? Surely it's the flag waglers who attend that makes it a success - wherever it is.

Val
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

I agree Val - It's the people that count - not the place.....

I'll meet up anywhere if I can get a good grid ref.

Church Hall
Sally Ann
Rugby Club ( even cricket club )
Big marquee
YWCA - ( as we did on Rotnest )
Stonehenge......

Anywhere - just give me a buzz in advance

:oops:
Trog
45 Recce yomper

Paddy Nye

CTC Lympstone

Post by Paddy Nye »

Yes I agree Val and Pilgrim It's the flagwaving people who attend any re-union that are most important. It's great to see old pals and comrades.
But equally important is the venue. Do you think you would get the same response for a re-union in a village hall or Salvation Army hut near Accrington against one at the home of the Signals Branch at CTC.
Most of us did one or all of our Courses there and know the surrounding area in training and on runs ashore. That brings back good memories at any re-union. We feel at HOME.
CTC has no excuse not to hold our re-union on a non training week as in the previous years before the last get together.
Come on Everybody. Don't let's All just Roll Over and accept what was inferred at our last gathering. Lets get together and put our views to the powers that be. I warn you, that if you let next years gathering at CTC go by the wayside, you will have created a precedent and it will be almost impossible to get back there again. That in turn will severely reduce the attendance, bearing in mind the FREE accommodation and the Mess facilities available (+ Free beer tent with Volleyball area + free parking etc etc).
PS. Have other Arms been given the same ultimatum? ie. PW's HW, PTI's etc. It would be interesting to know. Do any of you know someone in those specialities who has been told they can't have a re-union at CTC in future.
Dipole
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

You're right of course Paddy -

Lots of our oppos did their training at CTC - not all are as old as us from the STW at Eastney - perish the thought.

Mind you - I rather liked the YWCA bit....
(the other suggestions were just 'bait')

Let's hope that the CTC will be able to accommodate us again next year.
What would Lt. Pringle have to say if we were'nt able to attend ?

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

Paddy Nye

Sigs Re-unions

Post by Paddy Nye »

Thanks TROG. :D
I'm old enough to have done my S3's at Eastney, do a tour with 42 in Singers and return there to run the Battery shop while the Dreaded Alex Higson was the Adjutant. But it is no more. My Battery shop is now a Wimpey home and just the Ex Officers Mess (Museum) remains.
Lympstone is now our cultural home, not only because of the Sigs Wing but also we all went through training(Beastings) there in Nisson huts or the modern (now old) tower blocks.
We MUST convince CTC that we still belong there. Many old Sigs Offrs and past flagwavers we served with would turn in their graves if we didn't put up a fight to have our gatherings WHERE WE BELONG.
Has The Corp and Branch really given up on Us and forgotten Us? :(

Dipole
Dipole
Pete Exmouth

SIGS REUNION

Post by Pete Exmouth »

It MUST be held at CTC. It's the only place in the world where you have a homing beacon for. Wether a run ashore in Exmouth or Exeter, after x many pints, the beacon switches on and you head for "Home".
Imagine the confusion if it was held elsewhere!!!! Hundreds of drunken sigs trying to walk the road back to CTC from where? There would be chaos and confusion all over, not a pretty sight.
HOLD IT AT CTC the "home" of sigs branch (beg pardon for the guys who did theirs at Eastney)
:oops:
Besides, we know all the young ladies in Exmouth, which ones do and don't, which taxi numbers to call, which pubs and clubs to use.
Good question before, what about the PTI's and cassette heads???? Are they going to be sent somewhere else.
I suggest e mails and letters to the OC of Sigs Company as it is now, and soon!!
Anyone know who it is? :oops:

CTC or bust! :drinking:
barryc

Post by barryc »

Mr Nye,

Enough of the `my battery shop', it was My Battery Shop, initially shared with that debonair man Willie Howells but left to me after his departure, Did many a car service for Jack Davis in the garage bit with the pit whilst in occupation. Many happy days spent with the bubbling lead acids, plus humping the bl**dy things up two flights of stairs to the C42 classroom (Whose idea was it to put that class room on the top floor anyway?) I have to say that STW at Eastney is amongst my happiest memories. Telephone linesmen demos on a Thursday afternoon after imbibing too freely whilst keeping out of the way of rounds. Paul Braithwaite and I did a bramah `how not to do it demo once', nissed at pewts throughout. We had a really good crowd there at the time, Pennell, Corsar, Glasspool, Atack, Cook, McKinven, Clark, Luckman, Reeves, Braithwaite, Curtis,w@#k, Fothergill and some I have no doubt forgotten the names of. Yeah, the reunions are important just to see their ugly faces again and laugh about the antics.

Barry
BC
Artist

Post by Artist »

Havent been to the reunions since Bob Wallaces toptable. (5 years ago)

As has been said CTCRM is the only place to hold it as far as I am concerned. I'm waiting for the letter informing me when the next one is to be held.

Dosh has ruled these past few years as I work for myself. But apart from meeting up with the PARKMAN every so often don't speak to many of the blokes except those on this forum.

Lets hope that the Ex Sigs Officers can do summat. One is after all a General. Was sigs officer in 40CDO in 73/75 (Sage) Maybe he could be contacted to drop hints to the powers that be.

Artsit