Share This Page:

A couple of other Questions

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Ray

A couple of other Questions

Post by Ray »

Basicaly I am very interested in joining my local TA Signals detachment (IT and Comms). Ive contacted the Detachment via the provided email address,and I have read the other posts and searched the internet but i would like to ask a few questions before i get shown around.

Would I be welcome? This sounds a bit agoraphobic but in my experience most people look down on 20 year old full time computing students without even getting to know them.

I do enjoy the whole millitary experiance as i was a Cadet for 4ish years and i think the TA has allot to offer me. I wasnt sure if i should mention that i was in the cadets because i do remember the contempt the TA and Regs had towards us.

I do understand the importance of the TA in the "One Army" but what is the likeyness of myself being "mobilized" as I do consider my degree the most important thing iam doing just now.

Please be honest what would you think if i turned up to your local detachment.

And thanks for answering the other post even though the same qusetions keep geting posted it does help to get good answers. :)
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hello,

1. You'd be very welcome. You're studying a field related to your chosen trade, you're 20 too, so plenty of time to offer the Army. There will be other students there too.

2. Dont mention cadets if you're worried about it, some throbbers who've been cadets walk in and assume that because they know some drill and other mil skills that they're above everyone else in recruiting, you sound too humble for that however. We had a lad like that, he p1ssed everyone off, and left the recruit cadre. I was a cadet, a Four Star Gold!! :o and a colour sgt when I left, it means fack all. Gives you a head start on drill! To be honest you have to unlearn a few bad skills! It was a long time ago for me though!

3. At the moment there is almost zero chance of you being mobilized if you dont want to. There are usually more volunteers for ops than there are spaces. By joining the TA you obviously could be mobilized however, and if that really is a problem - dont join. That said, you will need to join, pass recruit phase, pass your sigs training, volunteer (presently) and have been in a while before they'd send you anywhere, enough time to finish a degree, assuming you have one or two years to go.

4. Sure about sigs? :-?
If thats what you're doing as a civi are you interested in doing something else as a soldier i.e inf, artillery etc. Might be worth thinking about. Alternativel you may be 100% IT Comms in which case - good choice!

Good luck

Tom
Ray

Post by Ray »

thanks for the reply. does anyone have anymore advice or opinions?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Yeah, don`t eat yellow snow :wink:
Don`t swamp in a posh bird`s handbag.
Never tell`em yer real name on the first date, tell`em yer oppo`s
If you go ashore and have two shags, make sure you give yer oppo one when you get back on board :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

Am I right in thinking that if you are in full time education you wont be mobilised anyway?
Ray

Post by Ray »

that thought had crossed my mind. i couldnt see that anywhere on the sabre site.
cmendes11

Post by cmendes11 »

Just to re-enforce the point Tom made about there being other students in the TA - I'm 21, a final year student of a computing degree, who began his TA application just the other day.

So if everyone looks down at young computing students at University, well then we're both f***ed.
Ray

Post by Ray »

yeah. only one thing for it, make the phone call to arrange the visit. hopfully my manager has shifted me off next week. thanks for the advice.
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

good luck pal im sure it will be fine :)
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

There will be loads of students there. No-one looks down on you for your civi trade! Stop flapping!

As a TA soldier there are usually more volunteers for mobilisation slots than there are places. At this current time there is no desire to send TA soldiers who arent mega keen to go!! However the usual caveat applies, you are joing the army. You could be mobilised if a situation arose that called for it. Your unit/prospective unit can give you more info. At my unit, to be mobilized you need to have been in between at least 1 or 2 years, have good skills, shine like fork as a TA soldier, and be pestering the PSAO for a place! So you guys are a long way from that, should easily finish your education in time. Maybe the OTC is a better option of you're worried.

In summary:
1. if you join now, you would be unlikely to be mobilised until 2009 at the earliest, and only if you want to.
2. In an emergency you could be mobilised at any time. If thats a problem dont join.